Solving Inverse Functions in Electric Charge Equations

• Thread starter Null_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
I didn't think to try more decimal places. Also, I used a calculator and didn't get the right answer. I'll have to try again. Thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a function and solving for a specific value using a given function. The inverse function for a camera flash's capacitor is found to be t = -a[ln(1 - Q/M)]. In the second part of the conversation, an error is found in calculating the value of f-1(4), which can be corrected by using a more precise value for f-1(4).
Null_

Homework Statement

1) When a camera flash goes off, the batteries immediately begin to recharge the flash's capacitor, which stores electric charge given by the following. (The maximum charge capacity is M and t is measured in seconds.)

Q(t) = M(1 - e-t/a)

(a) Find the inverse of this function and explain its meaning.

2. Let f(x) = 2 + x2 + tan(πx/2), where -1 < x < 1.
(a) Find f(f -1(4)).

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) Q = M(1 - e^-t/a)
Q/M = 1 - e^-t/a
e^-t/a = 1 - Q/M
-t/a (ln e) = ln(1 - Q/M)
-t/a = ln(1 - Q/M)
t = -a[ln(1 - Q/M)]

That's not right.

(#2.) x = 2 + y^2 + tan(π*y/2)
4 = 2 + y^2 + tan(π*y/2)
*plug into wolfram alpha... y~0.642
f(x) = 2 + x2 + tan(πx/2) original formula
f(.642)= 2 + (.642^2) + tan (.642π/2)
f(.642)=2.4293

That's not right either.

I'm not really seeing where I went wrong in either of them..any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Null_ said:

Homework Statement

1) When a camera flash goes off, the batteries immediately begin to recharge the flash's capacitor, which stores electric charge given by the following. (The maximum charge capacity is M and t is measured in seconds.)

Q(t) = M(1 - e-t/a)

(a) Find the inverse of this function and explain its meaning.

2. Let f(x) = 2 + x2 + tan(πx/2), where -1 < x < 1.
(a) Find f(f -1(4)).

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) Q = M(1 - e^-t/a)
Q/M = 1 - e^-t/a
e^-t/a = 1 - Q/M
-t/a (ln e) = ln(1 - Q/M)
-t/a = ln(1 - Q/M)
t = -a[ln(1 - Q/M)]
Why do you think this is wrong? This is what I got, but I am uncertain about the equation you wrote. I think you meant Q = M(1 - e^(-t/a)). If that is what you meant, then your answer is correct. However, you did not explain the meaning of the inverse here.
Null_ said:
That's not right.

(#2.) x = 2 + y^2 + tan(π*y/2)
4 = 2 + y^2 + tan(π*y/2)
*plug into wolfram alpha... y~0.642
f(x) = 2 + x2 + tan(πx/2) original formula
f(.642)= 2 + (.642^2) + tan (.642π/2)
f(.642)=2.4293

That's not right either.
Yes, you have an error here. You have the right idea, but probably made an error when you calculated f(.642). You should get a final answer that is close to 4. You'll get better results with more precision in your value for f-1(4), which I took as 0.64216.
Null_ said:
I'm not really seeing where I went wrong in either of them..any help is appreciated.

Mark44 said:
Why do you think this is wrong? This is what I got, but I am uncertain about the equation you wrote. I think you meant Q = M(1 - e^(-t/a)).
If that is what you meant, then your answer is correct. However, you did not explain the meaning of the inverse here.
I think it's wrong because it's an online homework assignment and it told me that my answer was wrong. :/ That is the right equation. Sorry, I got the explanation part right but just copied the whole question.
Mark44 said:
Yes, you have an error here. You have the right idea, but probably made an error when you calculated f(.642). You should get a final answer that is close to 4. You'll get better results with more precision in your value for f-1(4), which I took as 0.64216.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

What are inverse problems?

Inverse problems are mathematical problems in which the desired solution is known, but the input parameters that lead to that solution are unknown. In other words, the problem is to determine the cause from the effect.

What are some examples of inverse problems?

Some examples of inverse problems include image reconstruction, signal processing, and geophysical exploration. In image reconstruction, the goal is to reconstruct the original image from a degraded or distorted version. In signal processing, the goal is to determine the original signal from a noisy or distorted version. In geophysical exploration, the goal is to determine the subsurface properties of the Earth from measurements taken at the surface.

Why are inverse problems important?

Inverse problems are important because they are used to solve real-world problems in a variety of fields, including medical imaging, astronomy, and engineering. They also allow us to better understand the underlying physical or mathematical principles that govern the observed data.

What are some challenges in solving inverse problems?

One of the main challenges in solving inverse problems is that they are often ill-posed, meaning that small changes in the input parameters can lead to large changes in the output. This can make it difficult to obtain a unique and accurate solution. In addition, inverse problems often involve complex mathematical models and large amounts of data, which can be computationally demanding.

What techniques are used to solve inverse problems?

There are various techniques used to solve inverse problems, including regularization methods, Bayesian inference, and optimization algorithms. These methods aim to find a solution that is both accurate and stable, by balancing the fit to the data with a measure of smoothness or simplicity. Other techniques, such as machine learning and deep learning, are also being explored for solving inverse problems.