Proving Discontinuity of a Bijection: f-1:Y -> X

In summary, the author is trying to prove that if f:X -> Y is a discontinuous bijection then f-1:Y -> X is also discontinuous. However, they do not provide a clear or concise argument.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that if f:X -> Y is a discontinuous bijection then f-1:Y -> X is also discontinuous.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The contrapositive of this statement is that if f-1:Y -> X is continuous then f:X -> Y is continuous. Since f is bijective its invertable; hence, all I need to prove is, if f:X -> Y is continuous then f-1:Y -> X is continuous.

If f is continuous there exits a value delta for every epsilon such that delta = g*epsilon, where g is a function of epsilon.

We use the epislon delta method to prove f-1 is continuous. Hence, for all epsilon greater than zero there exists a delta greater than zero such that 0 < abs(y - k) < delta and 0 < abs(f-1(y) - f-1(k)) < epsilon. Hence, we may rewrite this as 0 < abs(f(x) - f(c)) < delta and 0 < abs(x - c) < epsilon. Since, this is merely the situation for f with epsilon and delta switched it follows that delta = epsilon/g. Therefore f-1:Y -> X is continuous. Q.E.D.

I think some of my reasoning isn't particularly great, so any suggestions on how to correct this proof are welcome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jgens said:
The contrapositive of this statement is that if f-1:Y -> X is continuous then f:X -> Y is continuous. Since f is bijective its invertable; hence, all I need to prove is, if f:X -> Y is continuous then f-1:Y -> X is continuous.
You can't prove an implication by proving its converse. While that statement is also true, it does not show that "if f-1:Y -> X is continuous then f:X -> Y is continuous". If you're trying to prove the contrapositive statement the straightforward constructive way, you have to start by assuming that f-1 is continuous.

Last edited:
Sorry. I figured that since if a function is completely invertable then it's inverse is completely invertable as well, and since any function f that has a complete inverse g can also be called g-1, it followed that if f is a continuous bijection then f-1 is also continuous or equivalently stated if g-1 is a continuous bijection, then g is also continuous. I should have caught that and proved it probably. It should be simple to fix that part though.

If f-1 is continuous then for every epsilon (e) there exists a delta (d) given by d = g*e where g is a function of e.

We use the epsilon delta method to prove f is continuous. For all e > 0 there exists a d > 0 such that 0 < abs(x - c) < d and 0 < abs(f(x) - f(c)) < e. Which is equivalent to 0 < abs(f-1(y) - f-1(k)) < d and 0 < abs(y - k) < e. Since this is merely the situation for f-1 with e and d switched it follows that d = e/g. Q.E.D.

I'm certain there still has to be something wrong with that though.

jgens said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if f:X -> Y is a discontinuous bijection then f-1:Y -> X is also discontinuous.

The Attempt at a Solution

If f is continuous there exits a value delta for every epsilon such that delta = g*epsilon, where g is a function of epsilon.
I can't make any sense of this.

We use the epislon delta method to prove f-1 is continuous. Hence, for all epsilon greater than zero there exists a delta greater than zero such that 0 < abs(y - k) < delta and 0 < abs(f-1(y) - f-1(k)) < epsilon. Hence, we may rewrite this as 0 < abs(f(x) - f(c)) < delta and 0 < abs(x - c) < epsilon. Since, this is merely the situation for f with epsilon and delta switched it follows that delta = epsilon/g. Therefore f-1:Y -> X is continuous. Q.E.D. No: think about what you want to show. You want to show that, for each c in X, if I give you a B>0 then you can find an A>0 such that |x-c|<A implies that |f(x)-f(c)|<B. Your 'proof' can only handle the case when the B I give you is the delta you found, which depended on your original epsilon!

Without certain conditions on X the statement to prove is false, anyway. A common counterexample is with X = [0,1) U (1,2], f(x)=x on [0,1] and f(x)=x+1 on (1,2].
EDIT: X should be [0,2].

Last edited:
Wouldn't f be discontinuous then? f has to be continuous.

I'll go along with your other criticisms though. I'll try to explain my reasoning more clearly. First, what I mean by d = g*e: Suppose d = 2e +1, this can be expressed in the form d = g*e where g = 2 + 1/e, I'm simply trying to generalize something. Given 0 < abs(x - c) < e and 0 < abs(f(x) - f(c)) < d. If we go about the same process used to find e we would get e = g*d where g is a function of delta. Now I suppose my "proof" only works if you can explicitly express that in terms of d which is what I presume you were pointing out.

As an aside, since my proof is invalid, would anyone mind trying to point me in the right direction?

Nevermind, no need. I found a proof of it that I understand in my calculus book. Thanks for the repsonses!

jgens said:
Wouldn't f be discontinuous then? f has to be continuous.
We can only go by what you wrote:
jgens said:

Homework Statement

Correcting the example I gave (I originally had it switched around, sorry): make that X=[0,2], then f is a discontinuous bijection with a continuous inverse.

Last edited:

What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function that has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain (X) and its range (Y). This means that every element in X is mapped to a unique element in Y, and vice versa.

What is discontinuity?

Discontinuity is when a function is not continuous at a certain point or interval. This means that the function has a break or discontinuity in its graph, and the limit of the function at that point or interval does not exist.

How do you prove discontinuity of a bijection?

To prove the discontinuity of a bijection, we need to show that the function is not continuous at a certain point or interval. This can be done by finding points where the function is not defined, has a jump or gap in its graph, or has different values from the left and right side of the point or interval.

What is the role of f-1 in proving discontinuity of a bijection?

f-1 is the inverse function of the bijection, and it maps elements from the range (Y) back to the domain (X). In proving discontinuity, we use f-1 to show that there are points or intervals in Y where the inverse function is not continuous, which in turn proves that the original function is also not continuous.

Why is proving discontinuity of a bijection important?

Proving discontinuity of a bijection is important in understanding the behavior of the function and its inverse. It also allows us to identify points or intervals where the function and its inverse are not continuous, which can help us make informed decisions in real-world applications and avoid potential errors or issues.