Solve Inverse Proportion Road Works in 14 Days

• Thread starter LiHJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the task requires 168 worker days to complete and the first phase, done by 4 men in 14 days, accounts for 56 worker days. After bringing in 10 more workers, 112 worker days are left which can be completed in 8 days. Therefore, the total number of days needed to complete the road works is 22 days.
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

Please help me with this question as my junior asked me but I have some doubts in it:

It takes 4 workers to complete repairing the road in 42 days. Suppose that 14 days into the road works, 10 more workers are brought into help out in the road works. Calculate the total number of days needed to complete the road works in this case.

Homework Equations

y = k/x , where k is a constant and y and x are variables [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

let y be days and x be number of workers
42 = k / 4
168 = k

From the question they trying to ask if during the 14 days of work with 14 men but after this 14 days it's going to be 4 men working again.

Suppose there are 14 workers ("10 more workers are brought into help..."):

d = 168 / 14 = 12

It takes 12 days to complete the repairing, but why the question says " Suppose that 14 days into the road works ..."

Can anyone help me? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
LiHJ said:
From the question they trying to ask if during the 14 days of work with 14 men but after this 14 days it's going to be 4 men working again.

No. I think there are 14 days of work by 4 men. Then 14 men work to finish the road.First find the rate R at which 1 worker works. Use the fact that 4 men working at that rate can finish 1 road in 42 days.

(4 workers) (R) (42 days ) = 1 road

Solve for R

Then write the equation that says 14 men working at rate R for X days build 1-(4)(R)(14) of the road.

LiHJ said:

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

Please help me with this question as my junior asked me but I have some doubts in it:

It takes 4 workers to complete repairing the road in 42 days. Suppose that 14 days into the road works, 10 more workers are brought into help out in the road works. Calculate the total number of days needed to complete the road works in this case.

Homework Equations

y = k/x , where k is a constant and y and x are variables [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

let y be days and x be number of workers
42 = k / 4
168 = k
And what does k represent?
LiHJ said:

Suppose there are 14 workers ("10 more workers are brought into help..."):

d = 168 / 14 = 12

It takes 12 days to complete the repairing, but why the question says " Suppose that 14 days into the road works ..."

Can anyone help me? Thank you for your time.
Your approach needs to be more systematic, taking into account that for the first 14 days only 4 men are working on the road, and then after that, an additional 10 men are working on it. What fraction of the job can the first four men do in the first 14 days? From this, what fraction of the job can each man do per day, assuming that all four men work at the same rate? How much of the job is left after the first 14 days? How long will it take for all of the men (all 14 of them) to finish the job?

Thank you Stephen and Mr Mark.

Here's my working:

If the job is to be done by 1 day, it will need 42 x 4 = 168 workers.
So first is being done by 4 men in 14 days, so is like 56 workers already did their part.
Left over work is 168 - 56 = 112 workers still needed to complete it.
Number of days left = 112/ 14 = 8 days
So total number of days required = 14+8 = 22 days

I agree, except that I would change the words slightly. The unit of labor is "worker days" (similar to the idea of "man hours").

If 1 road is built by 4 men in 42 days, it will need 42 x 4 = 168 worker days.
The first phase is being done by 4 men in 14 days, they accomplish 56 worker days..
Left over work is 168 - 56 = 112 worker days still needed to complete it.
Number of days left to finish the job = 112/ 14 = 8 days
So total number of days required = 14+8 = 22 days

What is inverse proportion?

Inverse proportion is a mathematical relationship between two variables where an increase in one variable leads to a decrease in the other variable, and vice versa.

How is inverse proportion used in solving road works in 14 days?

Inverse proportion is used to determine the relationship between the number of workers and the time it takes to complete road works. By using the inverse proportion formula, we can calculate the number of workers needed to complete the road works in 14 days.

What is the inverse proportion formula?

The inverse proportion formula is: x1 * y1 = x2 * y2, where x1 and y1 are the initial values of the variables and x2 and y2 are the new values. In the case of road works, x1 would be the initial number of workers and y1 would be the initial time it takes to complete the road works. x2 would be the new number of workers needed to complete the road works in 14 days and y2 would be 14 days.

What are the steps to solve inverse proportion road works in 14 days?

The steps are as follows:

• Identify the initial number of workers and the initial time it takes to complete the road works.
  • Plug in the values into the inverse proportion formula: x1 * y1 = x2 * y2.
  • Rearrange the formula to solve for x2, which represents the new number of workers needed to complete the road works in 14 days.
  • Substitute the initial value for y2, which is 14 days.
  • Solve for x2.
  • The final answer will be the number of workers needed to complete the road works in 14 days.

What are some limitations of using inverse proportion to solve road works in 14 days?

Some limitations include the assumption that the rate of work is consistent and that there are no external factors that may affect the progress of the road works. Additionally, it may not take into account the availability of resources or unexpected delays that may occur during the road works.