Solving Inverse Shminverse Homework

• Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where f(x)= x^3 +4x + 6. The participants try to find the inverse of f(x) and determine if it is one to one. They discuss using inspection to find the inverse and narrow down the possible values. There is some confusion about whether there is a mistake in the problem, but it is eventually resolved.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

If f(x)= x^3 +4x + 6,

a.) show f(x) is one to one.

b) Find inverse f(10)... f^-1(10) (hard to write type on a computer)

c) Find f^-1(10)'

Homework Equations

f^-1(x)' = 1/[f'(x)*f^-1(10)]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) a function is monotonic when it is either always increasing or always decreasing. You can check by looking at the derivative, f(x)' = 3x^2 + 4. This Function is one to one because it is monotonic (always increasing).

b.) I simply cannot figure this out. I am pretty sure our professor does NOT want us to try to find a direct equation for f^-1(x). I believe she wants us to use the method she calls "inspection", to look at the problem carefully and figure out a y value, then f^-1(x) = y, so I can find f(10). pretty lost.

c.) See above... though I know the equation is f^-1(x)' = 1/[f'(x)*f^-1(10)]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi srfriggen! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
srfriggen said:
If f(x)= x^3 +4x + 6,

a.) show f(x) is one to one.

b) Find inverse f(10)... f^-1(10) (hard to write type on a computer)

b.) I simply cannot figure this out. I am pretty sure our professor does NOT want us to try to find a direct equation for f^-1(x). I believe she wants us to use the method she calls "inspection", to look at the problem carefully and figure out a y value, then f^-1(x) = y, so I can find f(10). pretty lost.

Yes, part a) told you f(x) is increasing, and you can immediately see that f(0) = 6 and f(1) = 11, so f-1(10) must be between 0 and 1 …

now narrow it down further. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi srfriggen! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, part a) told you f(x) is increasing, and you can immediately see that f(0) = 6 and f(1) = 11, so f-1(10) must be between 0 and 1 …

now narrow it down further. :smile:

That helps a little but doesn't really get to an answer. I have a feeling she meant to write 3x instead of 4x. That would make things a lot more elegant.

srfriggen said:
That helps a little but doesn't really get to an answer. I have a feeling she meant to write 3x instead of 4x. That would make things a lot more elegant.

She may also have meant f^(-1)(-10) instead. That would make more sense as well.

True, -10 would work nicely.

ok, I've been going batty trying to figure this one out. It was on a small pop quiz last night and she said it shouldn't have taken us more than a minute to do that problem...

so am I nuts and terrible at calc or does it seem like she made a mistake? cause I don't see an easy solution to this problem at all.

What about 0?

(x-10)^1/2=f^-1(x)

or am i completely wrong

Svensken said:
What about 0?

(x-10)^1/2=f^-1(x)

or am i completely wrong

The question asks what is f^-1(10). You ask if zero works...

No, because if f^-1(10)=0, then f(0) would have to equal 10, and f(0) is 0^3+4(0)+6, or 6.

Thank you all for replying. turns out my teacher did make a mistake. should have been 11, not 10.

1. What is inverse shminverse homework?

Inverse shminverse homework is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the inverse of a given function. This means finding a new function that, when applied to the original function, will result in the identity function. In other words, the inverse function "undoes" the original function.

2. How do I solve inverse shminverse homework?

To solve inverse shminverse homework, you will need to follow a series of steps. First, you will need to find the original function and determine if it is a one-to-one function. Then, you will need to use algebraic techniques, such as substitution and simplification, to find the inverse function. Finally, you will need to check your answer by applying the inverse function to the original function to see if it results in the identity function.

3. Why is inverse shminverse homework important?

Inverse shminverse homework is important because it helps us understand the relationship between a function and its inverse. It also allows us to solve equations and problems that involve inverse functions, which have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving inverse shminverse homework?

Some common mistakes when solving inverse shminverse homework include forgetting to check if the original function is one-to-one, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not properly checking the answer by applying the inverse function to the original function. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving inverse shminverse homework?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with solving inverse shminverse homework. These include online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide additional resources or guidance. It is important to seek help if you are struggling with this type of homework to ensure a thorough understanding of the concept.