1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Square Law

1. Nov 17, 2003 #1
    This question came up in my textbook : Describe an example of a force you have experienced that follows the inverse square law. I couldn't think of any that I have "experienced", since I don't think that I have "experienced" the force of gravity that shows it is a inverse relationship.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2003 #2
    Eh, it's just wording. They didn't ask for you to have experienced an inverse square law, they asked for a force that you have experienced, that follows an inverse square law. Gravity is a force that you have experienced, that follows an inverse square law.

4. Nov 17, 2003 #3
    The electric force in Coulomb's Law also adheres to the inverse square law and is one that you've experienced if you've ever been shocked (i.e. static electricity).

[tex]\vec{F}_{21}=k\frac{Q_{1}Q_{2}}{r^2} \hat{r}_{21} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?