Proving $\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
In summary, the proof for $$\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$$ involves using the identities $$\tan(-x)=\frac{\sin(-x)}{\cos(-x)}=\frac{-\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}=-\tan(x)$$ and $$x=tan^{-1}(y)~\rightarrow~\tan(x)=y$$ to show that $$\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$$. However, it is not allowed to use the graph of the function to make conclusions. Instead, the inverse function relationship between $$\tan(x)$$ and $$\tan^{-1}(x)$$ can be used to
Karol

Homework Statement

Prove:
$$\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$$
Snap1.jpg

Homework Equations

Inverse tangent: ##\tan(y)=x~\rightarrow~y=\tan^{-1}(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\tan(-x)=\frac{\sin(-x)}{\cos(-x)}=\frac{-\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}=-\tan(x)$$
I just change the unknown x to y:
$$\tan(-y)=\tan(y)$$
Now i have to translate it. we know:
$$\tan^{-1}(x)=\tan y~\rightarrow~-\tan^{-1}(x)=-\tan y$$
But:
$$\tan^{-1}(-x)~\rightarrow~\tan(y)=-x$$
Only from looking on the graph i can say ##\tan(-y)=-x## and finish but am i allowed to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

Prove:
$$\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$$
View attachment 108677

Homework Equations

Inverse tangent: ##\tan(y)=x~\rightarrow~y=\tan^{-1}(x)##

I just change the unknown x to y:
$$\tan(-y)=\tan(y)$$
Now i have to translate it. we know:
$$\tan^{-1}(x)=\tan y~\rightarrow~-\tan^{-1}(x)=-\tan y$$
But:
$$\tan^{-1}(-x)~\rightarrow~\tan(y)=-x$$
Only from looking on the graph i can say ##\tan(-y)=-x## and finish but am i allowed to?

In a formal proof you cannot look at a graph to make conclusions. You only can use them to illustrate your proof but your proof should stand on its own.

Karol said:

Why not use ##y## in these equations and then let ##x = tan^{-1}(y)##?

PeroK said:
Why not use ##y## in these equations and then let ##x = tan^{-1}(y)##?
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} \tan(-y)=-\tan(y) \\ x=tan^{-1}(y) \end{array} \right.$$
##\tan(-y)=-\tan(y)## refers to the function:
Snap1.jpg

While ##x = tan^{-1}(y)~\rightarrow~\tan(x)=y## refers to a different function:
Snap1.jpg

Karol said:
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} \tan(-y)=-\tan(y) \\ x=tan^{-1}(y) \end{array} \right.$$
##\tan(-y)=-\tan(y)## refers to the function:
View attachment 108689
While ##x = tan^{-1}(y)~\rightarrow~\tan(x)=y## refers to a different function:
View attachment 108690

But you do know that ##y = f(x) \iff x = f^{-1}(y)##, assuming that f has an inverse function?

A function and its inverse are related to each other, and that's exactly what you can use.

@Karol

What about:

##x = \tan^{-1}(y)##

##y = \tan(x)##

##-y = -\tan(x)##

Can you pick it up from there?

PeroK said:
@Karol
What about:
##x = \tan^{-1}(y)##
##y = \tan(x)##
##-y = -\tan(x)##
Can you pick it up from there?
I use ##\tan(-x)=-\tan(x)## to get:
$$-y = -\tan(x)=\tan(-x)~\rightarrow~-y=\tan(-x)$$
$$-y=\tan(-x)~\rightarrow~\tan^{-1}(-y)=-x$$
$$\left\{ \begin{array} {l} \tan^{-1}(-y)=-x \\ \tan^{-1}(y)=x \end{array} \right\}~\rightarrow~-\tan^{-1}(y)=\tan^{-1}(-y)$$
$$\rightarrow~-\tan^{-1}(x)=\tan^{-1}(-x)$$
Math_QED said:
But you do know that ##y = f(x) \iff x = f^{-1}(y)##, assuming that f has an inverse function?
A function and its inverse are related to each other
An inverse function is only the graph rotated -900, so why "assuming that f has an inverse function", there always is an inverse, no?
And why "A function and its inverse are related to each other"? they don't, they are completely different ones, also, no?
I mean if ##y=\tan(x)## then, if i rotate the graph and take from that y, again, ##\tan(y)## i will get something that has nothing in common with the original x.

Karol said:
An inverse function is only the graph rotated -900, so why "assuming that f has an inverse function", there always is an inverse, no?
And why "A function and its inverse are related to each other"? they don't, they are completely different ones, also, no?
I mean if ##y=\tan(x)## then, if i rotate the graph and take from that y, again, ##\tan(y)## i will get something that has nothing in common with the original x.

A function must be 1-1 to have an inverse. Normally, by restricting the domain of a function, you can make it 1-1 on the restricted domain. Like ##\tan(x)## on ##(-\pi/2, + \pi/2)##.

I don't think you can say that a function and its inverse have nothing in common. They are very closely related.

Good, but what about my solution? is the rest (the beginning) O.K.?

Karol said:
Good, but what about my solution? is the rest (the beginning) O.K.?

Your solution is correct,

Thank you PeroK and Math_QED

Question 1: Why is it important to prove that $\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$?

The identity $\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$ is important because it allows us to simplify trigonometric expressions and equations involving tangent functions. It also helps us understand the symmetry of the tangent function about the origin.

Question 2: How can we prove that $\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$?

We can prove this identity using the definition of the inverse tangent function and the properties of trigonometric functions. We can also use geometric reasoning and the unit circle to prove this identity.

Question 3: What is the intuitive explanation for why $\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$?

The identity $\tan^{-1}(-x)=-\tan^{-1}(x)$ can be understood intuitively by considering the inverse tangent function as the angle between the positive x-axis and a line passing through the origin and a point on the unit circle. Since the tangent function is symmetric about the origin, the angles formed by the lines will also be symmetric, resulting in the negative sign on one side of the equation.

Question 4: Can we use this identity to simplify equations involving tangent functions?

Yes, we can use this identity to simplify equations involving tangent functions. By replacing $\tan^{-1}(-x)$ with $-\tan^{-1}(x)$, we can reduce the complexity of the equation and make it easier to solve.

Question 5: Does this identity hold true for all values of x?

Yes, this identity holds true for all values of x. The inverse tangent function is defined for all real numbers, and the tangent function is symmetric about the origin for all values. Therefore, this identity is valid for all values of x.