1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Trig Differentiation

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    Alright, I'm not technically stuck on this one, but I consistently get a result that disagrees with what Wolfram Alpha shows when I enter the problem to check my answer. Sorry 'bout the lack of LaTeX, but it should be simple enough to read. Here goes:

Problem:
    Differentiate y=sin-1[x/(1+x)]

Basically, I rearrange for
    sin(y)=x/(x+1)

then use implicit differentiation to yield:
    * ---> cos(y)*(dy/(dx))=1/(x+1)2

Substituting with:
    cos(y)=sqrt[1-sin2(y)]

I get:
    cos(y)=sqrt[1-x2/(x+1)2]

which simplifies to:
    cos(y)=sqrt(2x+1)/(x+1)

Dividing both sides of the original equation (above, marked with a star) by cos(y):
    dy/(dx)=1/[(x+1)sqrt(2x+1)]

Which, if you don't like surds in the denominator, can be simplified to:
    sqrt(2x+1)/[(x+1)(2x+1)]

I've done this question several times, and re-checked all my working. For the life of me, I can't see where I go wrong, yet my result is slightly different to what it should be. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    This is pretty close (and equivalent) to the first alternate form of the derivative on Wolframalpha.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you think it should be?

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4
    Huh. It appears you're right. I had even tried entering <my answer> - <w.a. answer>, and it came out nonzero, but I must have mistyped something. Well, I'm glad I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the clarification!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook