Solving a Physics Problem Involving Inverse Trig Function

In summary, the speaker encountered trouble while solving a physics problem involving an integral with limits from 0 to 2pi. They changed the limits to 0 to pi and multiplied by 2 due to the non-existence of tan x at 2pi. They also mentioned that the answer is pi/2, but they cannot simply ignore the ugly coefficient. The conversation also touched on the definition of tan x at 2pi and the unknown variable E in the integral. The speaker suggested checking the correctness of the integral input.
mindcircus
This is a physics problem, but I have some trouble finishing it up. I evaluated an integral, which gave me

inv tan of (1-E)tan(theta/2)/(sqrt (1-E^2)

evaluated from 0 to 2pi. I changed the limits to 0 to pi, and multipied by 2, because tan x doesn't exist at 2pi.
I know that if you take the inverse tangent of a tangent, you'll just get the angle. But because the tan has this ugly coefficient, I can't simply get the angle, right?
The answer is pi/2 so I'm inclined to just ignore it...but I know you can't do that...?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tan (x) is defined at 2pi. tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x), and cos(2pi) = 1. Might want to rethink that. I'm just wondering, what's the E? that's where I'm having trouble! After all the dirty work (not really i guess) i get tan^-1(E-1)/sqrt(1-E^2). I can only guess that E is 0 or something , which would mean that you'd get tan^-1(-1) which is only defined in the second and fourth quadrants.

Maybe your integral is wrong? It sounds to me by your language that you used a computer ("it gave me") or other device to get this integral. You might want to go back and type it in correctly. That's all I have to say.

First of all, great job on evaluating the integral and recognizing the need to change the limits and multiply by 2! It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept so far.

To address your question about the inverse tangent function, you are correct in saying that if you take the inverse tangent of a tangent, you will get the angle. However, in this case, the coefficient of the tangent function is not just any number, it is a function of the variable E. This means that the angle you get from taking the inverse tangent will also be a function of E.

So, in order to get a numerical value for the angle, you will need to plug in a specific value for E. This is where the limits of integration come into play. By changing the limits from 0 to 2pi to 0 to pi, you are essentially plugging in a value of E=1 into the function. This is why the answer you got is pi/2, because at E=1, the inverse tangent function simplifies to just the angle.

In general, when solving physics problems involving inverse trig functions, it is important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they correspond to the specific values of the variables in the problem. And remember, just because the coefficient of the inverse tangent function may look complicated, it doesn't mean you can ignore it. It is still an important factor in finding the solution to the problem.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you come across any other confusing concepts in your physics problems. Good luck!

What are inverse trig functions?

Inverse trig functions are mathematical functions that are used to solve for the angle in a right triangle given the length of its sides. They are the inverse of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent).

When is it necessary to use inverse trig functions in physics problems?

Inverse trig functions are used in physics problems when the given information involves angles, such as the angle of elevation or the angle of rotation. They are also used when solving for unknown sides in a right triangle.

What are the most commonly used inverse trig functions in physics?

The most commonly used inverse trig functions in physics are arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. They are represented by sin-1, cos-1, and tan-1 respectively.

How do you solve a physics problem involving inverse trig functions?

To solve a physics problem involving inverse trig functions, you first need to identify the given information and the unknown that you are trying to solve for. Then, you can use the appropriate inverse trig function to solve for the angle or side. Finally, make sure to check your answer using the given information and the trigonometric ratios.

What are some tips for solving a physics problem involving inverse trig functions?

Some tips for solving a physics problem involving inverse trig functions include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, using the unit circle to determine the reference angle, and checking your answer using the trigonometric ratios. It is also important to be familiar with the properties and graphs of inverse trig functions.