1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Trig Function Problem

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A patrol car is 50 ft from a long warehouse. The revolving light on top of the car turns at a rate of 30 rotations per minute. How fast is the beam of light moving along the warehouse wall when the beam makes a 45° angle with the line perpendicular from the light to the wall?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I started out by setting θ as a function of x : tanθ=(x/50)→θ=arctan(x/50). So when θ=45°, x=50ft. dθ/dt is 30(2∏)=60∏. So taking the derivative: dθ/dt=[(50)/(502+x2)]dx/dt. After substituting values, 60∏=(0.01)dx/dt→dx/dt=6000∏ ft/min. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is right. But you didn't really need to go through the arctan stuff. Just differentiate both sides of 50tanθ=x.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. Nov 21, 2013 #3
    Okay, thank you. The reason that I did the arctan stuff was because we're doing arctan derivatives, so I figured my teacher would want me to do it that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted