1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Trig Functions + their derivatives

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I really have no idea how to do these 3 questions, my prof didn't teach them at all, and i didn't understand the notes corresponding to them. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you have for the definition of the sin-1(x) ?

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3

sin-1(x) = 1/sqrt(1-x^2)

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about something like, "the angle whose sin is x"?
    Also it would be a big help if you would take a few minutes and learn to use the LaTex codes for writing equations,here.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  6. Oct 31, 2005 #5

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The functions he's asking you to graph are inverse functions, so as long as the range of one matches the domain of the other, they're going to graph like y=x. But he's given you a sufficiently large range that the functions are going to have discontinuities. You're going to get some sort of functions that will look like saw teeth.

If you have a calcuator, you can use this to chart a few dozen points and get to see what is going on. Make sure ou get the values at the points where the functions break right! That means a filled in circle and an empty circle.

As an example, a graph of [tex]\sqrt(x^2)[/tex] is the same as a graph of [tex]|x|[/tex]. The break in this case is at [tex]x=0[/tex], and the graph changes direction at that point. Your problems are harder because they are trig, but you're going to get a bunch of straight lines with slopes of +1 and or -1.

Carl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?