Is my solution for the implicit differentiation of x^2+xsin^-1y=ye^x correct?

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating x^2+xsin^-1y=ye^x using the chain rule. There was a typo in the original solution provided, but the correct solution is (ye^x-2x-sin^-1y)/(x/(1-y^2)^(1/2)-e^x). There is a discrepancy between this solution and the one shown in the book.
nameVoid
x^2+xsin^-1y=ye^x

implict dif

2x+xy'/(1-x^2)^(1/2)+sin^(-1)y=ye^x+y'e^x
xy'/(1-x^2)^(1/2)-y'e^x=ye^x-sin^(-1)y-2x
y'=(ye^x-sin^(-1)y-2x)/(x/(1-x^2)^(1/2)-e^x)
can somone please verify

Physics news on Phys.org
nameVoid said:
x^2+xsin^-1y=ye^x
2x+xy'/(1-x^2)^(1/2)+sin^(-1)y=ye^x+y'e^x

You're differentiating sin^-1y with respect to x, so you use the chain rule and first differentiate with respect to y, then derive y with respect to x, then multiply the two derivatives together. That would give you 1/sqrt(1-y^2) * dy/dx, not 1/sqrt(1-x^2) *dy/dx

ah yes that was a typeo on my part my solution is

(ye^x-sin^-1y-2x)/(x/(1-y^2)^(1/2)-e^x)
my book is showing
(ye^x-2x-sin^-1y)/(x/((1-y^2)^(1/2)-e^x))

which divides (1-y^2)^(1/2)-e^x into x not just x/(1-y^2)^(1/2) i don't believe these solutions are equal

1. Can you explain the concept of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a technique used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. It involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and using the chain rule to find the derivative.

2. Why is it important to use implicit differentiation in certain cases?

Implicit differentiation is necessary when the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. This often occurs in equations that cannot be easily solved for one variable in terms of the other. Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of such equations and analyze their behavior.

3. How do you approach solving an implicit differentiation problem?

To solve an implicit differentiation problem, begin by identifying the dependent variable and treating it as a function of the independent variable. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. Finally, solve for the derivative by rearranging the equation and substituting in the necessary values.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes in implicit differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, incorrectly identifying the dependent variable, and making algebraic errors when solving for the derivative. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these errors.

5. Can you provide an example of how to use implicit differentiation to solve a problem?

Sure, for example, if we have the equation x^2 + xsin^-1y = ye^x and we want to find the derivative of y with respect to x, we would start by treating y as a function of x and using the chain rule to find dy/dx. This would give us 2x + (sin^-1y + x(1/y)(dy/dx)) = ye^x + y(e^x)(dx/dx). Then, we can solve for dy/dx by rearranging the equation and substituting in the necessary values.