Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse trig?

  1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    "Inverse" trig?

    I'm trying to think of a word that describes the opposite of a trig function.
    It's like inverse, but I know that's not exactly the right word because inverse means literally "1 over" the function.
    It's the type of function you get when you press "2nd function" before you press Sin or Cos or whatever.

    I'm pretty sure it starts with "i" ... does anyone know what I'm talking about? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Re: "Inverse" trig?

    I think you are looking for the word "inverse" and confusing notation with -1. 1 over something is usually called the reciprocal and is also indicated by a -1 exponent (x-1 = 1/x).
    Sometimes a -1 does mean inverse. The inverse of sine (with a restricted domain) is arcsin x = sin-1x (sin x)-1 = 1/sinx.
  4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Re: "Inverse" trig?

    ahhhh okay yeah I always confuse those two
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook