Finding Exact Value of sin^-1(-9): A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter zaddyzad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact value of sin^-1 (-9) in degrees. However, it is mentioned that there is no such value as sin^(-1) only takes arguments between -1 and 1. The speaker also mentions that this is a question in their university webwork and they are unsure if there would be a question without an answer. The conversation ends with the speaker questioning if sin^(-1) means arcsin.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

How would I find the exact value of sin^-1 (-9) in degrees. I have no idea how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

How would I find the exact value of sin^-1 (-9) in degrees. I have no idea how to do this.

There's no such value. sin^(-1) only takes arguments between -1 and 1.

This is a question in my university webwork, so I don't know if they'd give a question that wouldn't have an answer.

Last edited:
zaddyzad said:
This is a question in my university webwork, so I don't know if they'd give a question that wouldn't have an answer.

There must be some mistake then. I'd speak to the authorities. sin^(-1) does mean arcsin, yes?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of sin^-1?

The inverse sine function, denoted as sin^-1, also known as arcsine, is the inverse of the sine function. This means that given a value of y, sin^-1(y) will return the angle whose sine is y.

2. Why is it necessary to find the exact value of sin^-1(-9)?

Finding the exact value of sin^-1(-9) is important in solving mathematical problems and equations involving trigonometric functions. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the sine function and its inverse.

3. How do you find the exact value of sin^-1(-9)?

To find the exact value of sin^-1(-9), we can use a scientific calculator or reference tables. We can also use the inverse sine formula, where sin^-1(x) = arcsin(x) = tan^-1(x/√(1-x^2)). In this case, we plug in -9 for x, and simplify the equation to get the exact value.

4. Can the exact value of sin^-1(-9) be expressed as a fraction or decimal?

Yes, the exact value of sin^-1(-9) can be expressed as a fraction or decimal. In this case, it would be expressed as -π/2 or -90 degrees, as the inverse sine of -9 is undefined in radians and degrees.

5. What are the practical applications of finding the exact value of sin^-1(-9)?

The exact value of sin^-1(-9) has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to calculate angles in right triangles, determine the position of objects based on their angles and distances, and analyze wave patterns and oscillations.