Is it better to take the inverse z-transform with respect to z or z^-1?

• Thread starter vvkannan
  • Start date
In summary, it is recommended to convert the given function to a function in z instead of z^-1 before solving for the coefficients of the partial fractions. This will give a correct solution for x(n).
vvkannan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I have a question on z-transforms.The question states

"determine the casual signal x(n) having the z-transform
X(z) = 1/(1-2z^-1)(1 - z^-1)^2".

This is how i tried

If i solve this by rewriting as

X(z)/z = z^2 /(z-2)(z-1)^2 and using partial fractions

i get x(n) as 4(2^n) u(n) - 3u(n) - nu(n).

But if i try to find the value by writing the partial fractions for the given function as it is
(i.e) A/(1 - 2z^-1) + B/(1 - z^-1) + C /(1 - z^-1)^2
i get A,B,C as 4,-2,-1
and hence x(n) as 4(2^n) - 2u(n) - n u(n).As seen i get the coefficient as -2 instead of -3 for the second term.

So is it right on my part to take partial fractions as i have done in the second case and solve the given function in z-inverse as it is or it should be solved after converting to a function in z instead of z^-1?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
.The answer is that you should solve the given function by converting it to a function in z instead of z^-1. In this case, it would be X(z) = 1/(1-2z)(1 - z)^2. Then solve for the coefficients of the partial fractions. This will give you a correct x(n).

for your question and for sharing your approach to solving this problem. The inverse z-transform can be a tricky concept to grasp, but it is an important tool in signal processing and control systems analysis.

To answer your question, both approaches are valid. The inverse z-transform can be taken with respect to either z or z^-1, but it is important to be consistent throughout the problem. In your first approach, you used z^-1 throughout the problem, so it is correct to take the inverse z-transform with respect to z^-1. In your second approach, you used z throughout the problem, so it is correct to take the inverse z-transform with respect to z.

As for the discrepancy in the coefficients, it is likely due to a calculation error in one of the two approaches. It is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all the steps are correct when solving problems like this.

I hope this helps clarify the inverse z-transform for you. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with this concept. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is an inverse Z-transform?

An inverse Z-transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function or equation in the Z-domain (a discrete-time domain) back to the time domain. It is the inverse operation of the Z-transform.

2. Why is the inverse Z-transform important?

The inverse Z-transform is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of discrete-time systems and signals in the time domain. It is also used in the design and implementation of digital filters and control systems.

3. How is the inverse Z-transform calculated?

The inverse Z-transform is calculated using techniques such as partial fraction expansion, long division, or the inverse power series method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function or equation in the Z-domain.

4. What are some applications of the inverse Z-transform?

The inverse Z-transform has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include signal processing, control systems, communication systems, image processing, and digital filter design.

5. Are there any limitations to the inverse Z-transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to the inverse Z-transform. It may not be possible to calculate the inverse Z-transform if the function or equation in the Z-domain is not in a suitable form. In such cases, approximations or numerical methods may be used. Additionally, the inverse Z-transform may not exist if the Z-transform has poles outside the unit circle in the complex plane.