What is the purpose of an inversion layer in a MOS device?

• Thread starter Theraven1982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inversion
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inversion layers in MOS devices and their relevance in CCDs. The speakers question why electrons form an inversion layer and the purpose of this layer. The Fowler-Nordheim theory is mentioned as a possible explanation for the formula used to calculate dark current. The need for a conducting channel provided by the inversion layer is also discussed.
Theraven1982
[SOLVED] inversion layer in a MOS

Hello,

I have some questions about MOS devices, and CCD

In a MOS or MIS after applying a voltage on the metal, the valenceband and the conduction band bend downwards (in the usual band diagram) when a positive voltage is applied. (p-type semiconductor).
When the voltage is large enough, the fermi energy (in equilibrium) is above the intrinsic energy level, so that an inversion charge will build up.

The first thing I don't understand is why the electrons make an inversion layer in the first place. I mean, why would the electrons come so close to the oxide/semiconductor boundary in the first place (I understand the electrons are drawn to this boundary by the applied voltage, but why is it such a big deal that the Fermi energy level is larger than the intrinsic level?)

The second thing I don't understand, is what is the use of this inversion layer? Why is the inversion layer necessary in a CCD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Oh, and a bonus 'question': I've seen a useful formula for calculating the dark current, but I can't find a reference. It's about this formula:

amount of dark current generated = [tex]CT^{1.5}e^{-E_g/2kT} [/tex]

I've seen it in some books, but none of them make a reference to where it is derived, and I don't have a clue how to derive it myself.
(Maybe this question isn't in the right place here, then I'll try a different subforum).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theraven1982 said:
Oh, and a bonus 'question': I've seen a useful formula for calculating the dark current, but I can't find a reference. It's about this formula:

amount of dark current generated = [tex]CT^{1.5}e^{-E_g/2kT} [/tex]

I've seen it in some books, but none of them make a reference to where it is derived, and I don't have a clue how to derive it myself.
(Maybe this question isn't in the right place here, then I'll try a different subforum).

Look into the Fowler-Nordheim theory for field emission current. The derivation to get that particular equation isn't trivial and makes many simplifications and assumptions.

Zz.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
It is not necessary that I know exactly how it is derived, but just wanted to know where it came from. I've seen the name 'Fowler-Nordheim' before in a paper, and now I at least understand where it comes from.

Any takers for the other questions? ;)

The inversion layer is necessary to establish a conducting channel through which majority carriers can easily move.

- Warren

Thanks.
But why is this conducting channel needed? This inversion layer is above the depletion region which fills up with charge; when the device is clocked (for measuring how much charge is in the well), the charges move from well to well. I don't see the need for this conducting channel.

Theraven1982 said:
Thanks.
But why is this conducting channel needed? This inversion layer is above the depletion region which fills up with charge; when the device is clocked (for measuring how much charge is in the well), the charges move from well to well. I don't see the need for this conducting channel.

The inversion layer provides the majority carriers (electrons or protons in nMOS and pMOS case) which make up the current. The inversion layer IS the conducting layer

marlon

The inversion layer provides the MINORITY carriers not the majority carriers.

My mistake.

marlon

I'm sorry for the (very) late reply, but thanks a lot! I now fully understand. Sometimes I need to ripen new information ;).
Thanks again all!

What is an inversion layer in a MOS?

An inversion layer in a MOS (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) refers to the thin layer of electrons that forms at the interface between the semiconductor and the insulating oxide layer when a voltage is applied to the gate of the MOS device. This layer is created due to the repulsion of the positively charged gate from the negatively charged electrons in the semiconductor, resulting in a high concentration of electrons near the surface.

What is the role of the inversion layer in a MOS?

The inversion layer plays a crucial role in the operation of MOS devices. It acts as a channel for the flow of electrons between the source and drain terminals, allowing for the control of current by the gate voltage. The presence or absence of this layer determines the on and off states of the MOS device, making it a key component in digital and analog circuits.

How is the inversion layer formed in a MOS?

The inversion layer is formed when a positive voltage is applied to the gate terminal of the MOS device. This voltage creates an electric field that attracts the negatively charged electrons in the semiconductor, causing them to accumulate near the surface and form the inversion layer. The strength of this electric field is controlled by the gate voltage, and hence, the thickness and concentration of the inversion layer can be adjusted.

What are the characteristics of the inversion layer in a MOS?

The inversion layer in a MOS has several important characteristics that make it suitable for use in electronic devices. It has a high electron concentration, typically in the range of 10^17 to 10^19 electrons per cubic centimeter. It also has a low resistance, allowing for efficient current flow. Additionally, the thickness of the inversion layer is small, typically in the range of a few nanometers, allowing for fast switching speeds.

What are the applications of the inversion layer in a MOS?

The inversion layer in a MOS is used in a variety of electronic devices, including digital logic circuits, memory chips, and amplifiers. It is also a key component in modern microprocessors, allowing for the miniaturization and integration of millions of transistors onto a single chip. The ability to control and manipulate the inversion layer has led to the development of advanced MOS technologies, making it a crucial aspect of the semiconductor industry.