Invert polarity of output DC voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses building a dual polarity power supply using a center-tapped transformer and an inverting DC-DC converter. The participants consider different options and circuits, such as using a negative voltage regulator or building a separate circuit for the negative polarity. They also discuss the use of different types of capacitors for smoothing and filtering purposes.
AhmedEzz
I'm building a power supply which is shown below :

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3736/80123303ma0.jpg

The tricky part is that i want a dual polarity PSU so i duplicate the circuit but this time i want to invert the output DC voltage as to be a negative one...what is the simplest way to do this? i thought of passing that output to a negative voltage regulator but i haven't tried it though.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,018
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
AhmedEzz said:
I'm building a power supply which is shown below :

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3736/80123303ma0.jpg

The tricky part is that i want a dual polarity PSU so i duplicate the circuit but this time i want to invert the output DC voltage as to be a negative one...what is the simplest way to do this? i thought of passing that output to a negative voltage regulator but i haven't tried it though.

You have two main choices -- Use a different transformer that has two output windings (like a long winding with a center tap), and do a similar - rail linear regulator branch, or use an inverting DC-DC converter off of the + rail that you have now.

Can you easily go to a different transformer with two output windings? If not, look at Inverting DC-DC converter circuits, like this:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tps63700.html

The problem with doing an inverting DC-DC for the - rail is that it will have switching noise on it, as opposed to your nice clean + rail from the linear regulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
couldn't you use a mechanical switch on the output leads?

kamerling said:
couldn't you use a mechanical switch on the output leads?

I got the impression from the phrase "dual polarity" that they want both + and - rails available at the same time.

exactly i want a +ve and -ve output at the same time...by the transformer, you mean i get a center-tapped transformer? note that it is a step-down transformer.

anyway, i will look at the dc-dc converter you mentioned but i hope anyone can give me more options because if one doesn't work i switch to the other immediately...thanks a lot though.

Yes, you want a 24V CT (center-tapped) transformer. You'll get separate 12Vac outputs from the center tap to each of the other output leads.

For what it's worth, are you aware that 12Vac will produce about 16Vdc after the rectification?

Good luck & have fun!

yes my friend but the circuit has been designed to limit the voltage between 5 - 15 volts...hmm so let me get this clear, i duplicate the circuit as it is with no polarity of the anything -the capacitor- reversed and simply connect it with a center tapped transformer, and i will have a negative voltage?

if its not too hard for you can u tell me how it works?

AhmedEzz said:
yes my friend but the circuit has been designed to limit the voltage between 5 - 15 volts
Okay.
...hmm so let me get this clear, i duplicate the circuit as it is with no polarity of the anything -the capacitor- reversed and simply connect it with a center tapped transformer, and i will have a negative voltage?

if its not too hard for you can u tell me how it works?

Sure. A center-tapped transformer will have 3 output leads: a center lead and 2 other leads, we'll call them A and B.

Connect the center lead and lead A to your existing circuit.

Then, connect the center lead and lead B to another circuit that you must build. This other circuit differs from your existing one as follows:
1. The + output from the bridge will get connected to the "0V" point in your first circuit, and also to the "common" point of the regulator in the second circuit.
2. You'll need a different regulator that is designed for negative polarity. One option is the LT1033:
http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C3,P1239,D3905

I saw this circuit on the "designer's guide to the l200"...is there anyway to verify that its working before actually building it? and can someone explain how this circuit works if he/she understands it...please please please help.:cry:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,172
It's slightly more complex than the original circuit you posted. I'll assume you understand the L200, as it is used in both. There are 2 main differences in this circuit:

1. The rectification is done differently. However, the input to the L200 is still a DC-with-ripple signal.
2. They have built 2 identical DC circuits. Connect the low voltage output of one supply to the high voltage side of the other, and call this ground.

To verify that it works, build it in stages. Start from the left side of the circuit diagram (the transformers). Verify that each stage does what it should before adding on to it.

but is there anything that indicates that the output voltage of the second one is negative since as you said they are identical...and can you please tell me what does tracking mean?Thanks a lot man, i really appreciate your help.

AhmedEzz said:
but is there anything that indicates that the output voltage of the second one is negative since as you said they are identical

Yes. The fact that they are calling the positive output "ground" means that the negative output can be used as a negative voltage source.

...and can you please tell me what does tracking mean?

They seem to have two adjustment potentiometers that track each other, i.e., they both have the same setting at all times. Don't worry about that, just use normal potentiometers and adjust them separately.

With regards to the first circuit posted in the first post, can anyone tell me what are the smaller capacitors -100nF- after the 4700mF and the 10mF capacitors for? what do they do?
i know the 4700 is the smoothing cap but what does the one after it do?? please this is urgent.

The problem with large electrolytic capacitors is that they are "slow" (high ESR values=equivalent series resistance). This means that they are good for smoothing out low frequency rippel but not very good at filtering out higher frequencies.
Smaller capacitors (polypropylen etc) which have low ESR values and are good for higher frequencies.
Hence, in real circuits you need mix different types of capacitors in order to get the performance you want (it is not uncommon to have 3-4 types in a single circuit).

Learning how to choose the right capacitor for the job takes a while and is one of those things that are often not covered in courses.

Edit: In regulator circuits the main "job" for the small capacitor after the regulator is usually to filter out the high frequency noise comming from the regulator itself (which is in the kHz range).

Last edited:

Invert Polarity of Output DC Voltage

Inverting the polarity of output DC voltage is a common requirement in electronics and electrical circuits. It involves changing the voltage's positive and negative terminals to obtain a voltage with reversed polarity. Here are some common questions related to inverting the polarity of output DC voltage:

Q1: Why Would You Need to Invert the Polarity of DC Voltage?

There are several reasons for inverting the polarity of DC voltage, including:

• **Compatibility:** In some applications, devices or components require a specific polarity of voltage to operate correctly. Inverting the polarity ensures compatibility.
  • **Circuit Reversal:** In certain circuit designs, reversing the polarity is necessary to achieve the desired function, such as motor control or signal inversion.
  • **Correcting Polarity:** If a DC voltage source has the wrong polarity, it may need to be inverted to match the intended circuit or device.
Inverting polarity is a common practice in electronics to ensure proper operation and compatibility.

Q2: What Are Some Common Methods to Invert DC Voltage Polarity?

There are several methods to invert the polarity of DC voltage, including:

• **Using an Inverter Circuit:** An inverter circuit, often consisting of transistors or electronic switches, can be employed to change the polarity of the voltage. This is commonly used in power electronics applications.
  • **Using a DPDT Switch:** A Double-Pole Double-Throw (DPDT) switch can be used to manually reverse the connections of a DC voltage source, effectively changing the polarity when the switch is toggled.
  • **Using a Transformer:** Transformers can also be used to invert the polarity of AC voltages, which can then be rectified to obtain inverted DC voltage.
The choice of method depends on the specific application and requirements.

Q3: Are There Risks or Considerations When Inverting DC Voltage Polarity?

When inverting DC voltage polarity, it's essential to consider the following:

• **Voltage Ratings:** Ensure that the components used to invert polarity can handle the voltage levels involved without breakdown or damage.
  • **Current Ratings:** Check that the components can handle the current required by the circuit or load.
  • **Protection:** Incorporate protective measures, such as fuses or current-limiting resistors, to prevent overcurrent or short circuits.
  • **Compatibility:** Verify that the inverted voltage is compatible with the intended devices or circuits and won't cause damage or malfunction.
Careful planning and component selection are essential to avoid potential issues when inverting DC voltage polarity.

Q4: Can I Invert the Polarity of DC Voltage in Batteries?

Yes, the polarity of DC voltage from batteries can be inverted using appropriate methods. However, it's essential to follow safety guidelines and use the correct components to avoid damaging the battery or causing hazards. Inverting battery polarity may be necessary in specific applications or when correcting wiring errors.

Q5: What Are Some Practical Applications of Inverted DC Voltage?

Inverted DC voltage finds applications in various electronic devices and circuits, including:

• **Motor Control:** Inverting polarity is often used in motor control circuits to reverse the direction of rotation in DC motors.
  • **Signal Processing:** Inverting voltage polarity can be used in signal processing circuits and audio equipment to achieve phase inversion or cancel out unwanted signals.
  • **Power Supplies:** Some electronic devices and systems require inverted voltage supplies for proper operation.
Understanding how to invert polarity is essential in these and many other electronic applications.

In summary, inverting the polarity of output DC voltage is a common practice in electronics and electrical circuits, often used to achieve compatibility, correct circuit design, or device operation. Careful consideration of voltage ratings, current ratings, and component selection is crucial when implementing polarity inversion.