Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverted candle

1. Aug 14, 2004 #1
    Why don't the inverted candle fire???????

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2004 #2
    Well, it does when you light up the opposite end!! :wink:

I think it might be because the dripping wax extinguishes the flame.

4. Aug 14, 2004 #3
    yes, lack of oxygen in the combustion reaction. The wax smothers the wick and puts out the flame.

5. Aug 14, 2004 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Have never tried the experiment, are you saying it won't light at all? Or simply that it won't remain lit? In either case, I would agree that lack of oxygen is the problem. In the latter case, wax smothers the flame. In the former, perhaps the body of the candle is blocking the upward flow of air away from the flame, preventing fresh air from flowing in.

6. Aug 17, 2004 #5

Mk

but... since in space where there is microgravity, the flame goes in all directions. I'm gonna try the upsidedown candle experiment and report to you the results... if I get around to it

7. Aug 17, 2004 #6

Mk

Crumbles, how did you become a PF contributor?

8. Aug 17, 2004 #7
    Make a contribution to PF by clicking on Membership Upgrade and you can become a PF contributor!! :wink:

9. Aug 18, 2004 #8

Mk

ahhh, I see, I don't think I'll pay

10. Aug 22, 2004 #9
    Have you tried the candle oscillator (see diagram, below)? Start with a needle thrust through the candle's center, perpendicular to the candle and with ends resting on fulcra. Burn the candle at both its ends, and watch it see-saw. Would its period be approximately linear or nonlinear?

~====\====~

11. Aug 24, 2004 #10
    In cyberspace.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?