Why Inverted Candles Don't Burn: Explained

• Thread starter 7bear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why an inverted candle may not fire, including the dripping wax smothering the flame and lack of oxygen in the combustion reaction. The possibility of conducting the experiment in a microgravity environment and the potential for becoming a PF contributor are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the suggestion of a candle oscillator experiment in cyberspace.
7bear
Why don't the inverted candle fire??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it does when you light up the opposite end! :wink:

I think it might be because the dripping wax extinguishes the flame.

yes, lack of oxygen in the combustion reaction. The wax smothers the wick and puts out the flame.

7bear said:
Why don't the inverted candle fire??

Have never tried the experiment, are you saying it won't light at all? Or simply that it won't remain lit? In either case, I would agree that lack of oxygen is the problem. In the latter case, wax smothers the flame. In the former, perhaps the body of the candle is blocking the upward flow of air away from the flame, preventing fresh air from flowing in.

but... since in space where there is microgravity, the flame goes in all directions. I'm going to try the upsidedown candle experiment and report to you the results... if I get around to it

Crumbles, how did you become a PF contributor?

Mk said:
Crumbles, how did you become a PF contributor?

Make a contribution to PF by clicking on https://www.physicsforums.com/subscriptions.php and you can become a PF contributor! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh, I see, I don't think I'll pay

Have you tried the candle oscillator (see diagram, below)? Start with a needle thrust through the candle's center, perpendicular to the candle and with ends resting on fulcra. Burn the candle at both its ends, and watch it see-saw. Would its period be approximately linear or nonlinear?

~====\====~

In cyberspace.

1. Why do inverted candles appear to defy gravity and not burn downward?

This phenomenon occurs because of the principle of capillary action. The wax in the candle is drawn up through the wick, creating a small pool of liquid wax at the top of the wick. When the flame is lit, the heat of the flame melts the wax and creates a small pool of liquid wax at the top of the wick. This liquid wax is then drawn up into the wick, fueling the flame. As the wax is used up, the flame gradually moves down the wick, creating the appearance of a downward burning candle.

2. Is there a difference between an inverted candle and a regular candle?

Aside from the appearance of the flame, there is no difference between an inverted candle and a regular candle. They both function in the same way, with the wax being drawn up through the wick to fuel the flame. The only difference is that in an inverted candle, the flame appears to be burning downward due to the direction of the wick.

3. Can any type of candle be inverted and still burn?

Yes, any type of candle can be inverted and still burn. As long as the candle has a wick and is made of a combustible material, such as wax or oil, it will continue to burn when inverted. However, the size and shape of the candle may affect the appearance of the flame and the direction it appears to burn.

4. Are there any benefits to using an inverted candle?

There are no significant benefits to using an inverted candle. It may be a fun experiment to try, but it does not change the burning process or affect the amount of light or heat produced by the candle. In fact, it may be more difficult to light and maintain an inverted candle due to the direction of the wick.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for why inverted candles don't burn?

Yes, the scientific explanation for why inverted candles don't burn is based on the principles of capillary action and the direction of the wick. The wax is drawn up through the wick by capillary action, and the direction of the wick determines the direction the flame appears to burn. As long as there is a source of fuel, the candle will continue to burn, regardless of its orientation.