1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverted pendulum kinematics?

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to come up with a mechanics project idea and I'd like some suggestions. I have a mass that is oscillating back and forth and it can be thought of as an inverted pendulum. I also took a video of the moving mass and found its x and y coordinates and velocity as its moving back and forth. I took a second video and data set of the mass moving at a much faster speed. Using this data set, what would be an interesting problem to work out? Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    The biggest uncertainty in the inverted pendulum problem is the uncertainty principle itself; If the pendulum is standing exactly upside down, how long does it take [what is maximum time] to fall over? Is there any interesting physics here? Newtonian physics could answer what the period is for any starting position [other than exactly upside down].

You could perhaps do some studies on kinematic losses [e.g., air drag] vs. time for different amplitudes and pendulum lengths for a standard shape pendulum weight of different diameters, and compare to theory:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics [Broken])
    At what point does the drag force change from linear (Stokes) to quadratic (turbulent)?

Bob S
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    Here's a link to a 6 page engineering paper with some useful concepts:

http://www.sps.ele.tue.nl/members/m.j.bastiaans/spc/bugeja.pdf [Broken]

I recall there may be fuzzy logic research into problems such as the inverted pendulum, but other than these comments, I can't visualize an interesting project. I think a fuzzy processor works similar to the human brain and can be kept a trade secret once the fuzzy associative memory (FAM) is discovered to work in a given problem.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook