Inverter Help

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi folks, I'm new to both the forums and the concept of inverters.

For my project, I've been told to look up various inverter topologies.

I've read inverters in a textbook, course notes, over the web, with PLECS, and I'm still confused.

Maybe, I just need a good place to start. I understand basics of circuits.

I've been trying to simulate inverters using PLECS to no avail. Although, that could just be my lack of experience with the software.

I'm supposed to simulate a way to convert DC voltage into three-phase AC voltage. Our group leader has designated a pulse-width modulated (PWM) hex-bridge inverter to be implemented.

However, we do not necessarily have to follow the above design. We're pretty free in deciding what works best for our low power induction motor. I just need to find a good way to create a sinusoidal voltage after a DC/DC converter steps up the voltage.

So, for the more experienced of you, any topologies that would work for this situation?

I'd appreciate schematics, circuit diagrams, links, etc.

I'm really lost here and don't know where to turn. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Hi folks, I'm new to both the forums and the concept of inverters.

I've read inverters in a textbook, course notes, over the web, with PLECS, and I'm still confused.

Maybe, I just need a good place to start. I understand basics of circuits.

I've been trying to simulate inverters using PLECS to no avail. Although, that could just be my lack of experience with the software.

I'm supposed to simulate a way to convert DC voltage into three-phase AC voltage. Our group leader has designated a pulse-width modulated (PWM) hex-bridge inverter to be implemented.

However, we do not necessarily have to follow the above design. We're pretty free in deciding what works best for our low power induction motor. I just need to find a good way to create a sinusoidal voltage after a DC/DC converter steps up the voltage.

So, for the more experienced of you, any topologies that would work for this situation?

I'd appreciate schematics, circuit diagrams, links, etc.

I'm really lost here and don't know where to turn. Thank you.
inverter is an efficient and reliable devices that come in a variety of sizes and power ranges for ac/dc motors, maybe you just need to start with how the inverter be used for?

FOIWATER
Gold Member
I don't want to under-mind you, but are you familiar with electronic switches (IGBT) used for dc to ac inversion?

They are transistors with 4 layers of alternating P & N junction material. As a switch, a gate pulse allows the IGBT to turn on and off it can do so thousands of times per second.

So, you can form sine waves from a DC pulse, by gating the igbt, turning it off. Letting it come on a little longer, turning it off, letting it come on a little longer turn it off etc.

As you gate it, the signal tries to rise up to the DC value, but you switch it. Then let it come on a little longer, it goes a little higher, etc

It makes it look a bit like using integration by rectangles .... haha

But you can form sine waves like this, by gating the IGBT's in the proper sequence.

That's how we do inversion at work

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed

the best textbook i know of is the GE SCR manual. Its inverter chapter is a pactical "how it works" . It covers several topologies. But it is old school, for the new pwm synthesized ones you 'll need a newer book.
But to get you started this can't be beat. I prefer fourth and fifth editions , myself, they're a little less math intensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0137967632/?tag=pfamazon01-20

41QDEuGK58L._SL160_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: