Inverter Question

• Thread starter blackgate
  • Start date
Hi guys

Could someone explain to me how does an inverter (with electromechanical switch) works?
Based on the following diagram from wikipedia,

Inverter_ckt_01cjc.png

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical)

I understand that (on the above diagram not the bottom) a spring is placed on contact, when a current flows through the circuit, the wire on the opposing side would act as a electromagnet, pulling the contact down. In doing so, the electromagnetic force pulling it would cease. The spring would then move the contact back to the original position and the process repeats, converting DC to AC.

However, could someone please guide me on how the current flows into the circuit and how it exits and why is there a battery in the middle of the circuit?

Thanks
blackgate

Answers and Replies

vk6kro
Science Advisor
The diagrams there only show the principle of operation. They are not intended to be complete practical circuits. If you could operate the switches quickly enough, you might get some output, but usually you would have some transistors in there doing the switching for you.

Have a look at this link to see some practical inverter circuits:

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=...&gbv=2&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=inverter&gs_rfai=

When the switch is in the top position, the current flows through the top winding, upwards from the centre tap. When the switch is moved to the bottom position, the current flows from the battery downwards through the lower winding.
So, the magnetic field in the transformer is reversed and you get an alternating voltage from the secondary of the transformer.

Last edited:
Vibrator-type power supplies were once used to obtain High Tension supplies for electron-tube (valve) equipment from lower voltage supplies, e.g. for vehicle radio.

This sort of system was never very reliable and has been obsolete for decades