1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invertibility / Group problem

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    I have to find if the set [itex] [1;+∞[ x [1;+∞[ [/itex] with the operation [itex] (x;y)°(v;w) = (x+v-1; yw) [/itex] is a group

I have already proven Closure, associativity and Identity but I have some problems with invertibility :)

The neutral element that I have found is (1;1)

I did [itex] (x;y)°(x1;y1)= (1;1) [/itex] and I have found [itex]x1=-x+2[/itex] and [itex]y1=1/y[/itex]
    The problem is that [itex]1/y[/itex] is not included in the set if [itex]y>1[/itex]...

Any advice? Is it a group? Thank you :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the forward slash "/" to close your tex tags.
    It looks to me like you have answered your own question. Inverses don't seem to be there.

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    So it's not a group? :) The text of the homework that the teacher gave us seemed to imply that it was :)

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed: it is not a group!

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5
    Thanks ;)

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just so you get it. The problem is that 1/y is not necessarily in our set. But that is not the only problem. There is a problem with -x+2 as well. That also doesn't necessarily lie in our set!! Indeed, if x=2, then -x+2=0 and this is not in our set!

8. Apr 16, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

C'mon. Show a little confidence in your work. Do you want to build a fence around it and insure it before you are willing to assert the result?

9. Apr 16, 2012 #8
    Well, I prefer to be sure about what I write especially if it is on a new topic that I have just learned at school ;) By seeking help and advices on the internet I hope to improve and strenghten my knowledge and thus be more confident. I didn't expect it to be a problem.

10. Apr 16, 2012 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't a problem; I didn't mean to imply that it was. You nailed it on your first try. I was just trying to encourage you to be brave about what you've done. You do good work, so trust it.

11. Apr 17, 2012 #10
    Thanks, I will :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook