Invertible Function: Proving Bijection & Finding Inverse

• Thread starter mr.tea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the inverse function theorem states that there is a continuous function that has an inverse at every point if the Jacobian at that point is not singular.
mr.tea

Homework Statement

prove, using the definition, that the mapping
## \mathbf{u}=\mathbf{u}(u_1(x_1,x_2),u_2(x_1,x_2))## where
##u_1=\tan(x_1)+x_2 ##
##u_2=x_2^3##

is a bijection from the strip ##-\frac{pi}{2}<x_1<\frac{pi}{2}## in the ## x_1x_2##-plane onto the entire ##u_1u_2##-plane, and find the inverse.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the inverse is not the problem. My problem is that when I am trying to apply the inverse function theorem, I get that at ##x_2=0## the Jacobian is 0. The Jacobian that I have found is:
[itex]\frac{\partial (u_1,u_2)}{\partial (x_1,x_2)}=
\begin{vmatrix}
\frac{1}{cos^2(x_1)} & 1\\
0& 3x_2^2\\
\end{vmatrix}
[/itex]

What am I missing here?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr.tea said:

Homework Statement

prove, using the definition, that the mapping
## \mathbf{u}=\mathbf{u}(u_1(x_1,x_2),u_2(x_1,x_2))## where
##u_1=\tan(x_1)+x_2 ##
##u_2=x_2^3##

is a bijection from the strip ##-\frac{pi}{2}<x_1<\frac{pi}{2}## in the ## x_1x_2##-plane onto the entire ##u_1u_2##-plane, and find the inverse.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the inverse is not the problem. My problem is that when I am trying to apply the inverse function theorem, I get that at ##x_2=0## the Jacobian is 0. The Jacobian that I have found is:
[itex]\frac{\partial (u_1,u_2)}{\partial (x_1,x_2)}=
\begin{vmatrix}
\frac{1}{cos^2(x_1)} & 1\\
0& 3x_2^2\\
\end{vmatrix}
[/itex]

What am I missing here?

Thank you.
Hint:
Let ##f: \mathbb R \to \mathbb R \ :\ x \mapsto x³##.
Is ##f## a bijection?
Is the derivative of ##f## different from 0 in every point?

What does this tell us about the inverse function theorem?

Likes mr.tea
Samy_A said:
Hint:
Let ##f: \mathbb R \to \mathbb R \ :\ x \mapsto x³##.
Is ##f## a bijection?
Is the derivative of ##f## different from 0 in every point?

What does this tell us about the inverse function theorem?

Sorry for the late reply.
the answers are "yes"(but the derivative of f is 0 at 0).
Does this tell us that the inverse function theorem doesn't apply to that point(0 in your example)? Does it mean that we need to prove for that point without using the inverse function theorem?

Thank you.

mr.tea said:
Sorry for the late reply.
the answers are "yes"(but the derivative of f is 0 at 0).
Does this tell us that the inverse function theorem doesn't apply to that point(0 in your example)? Does it mean that we need to prove for that point without using the inverse function theorem?

Thank you.
Yes.

Let's look at the precise statement of the inverse function theorem:

Let f : ℝn → ℝn be continuously differentiable on some open set containing a, and suppose that Df(a) is not singular. Then there is some open set V containing a and an open W containing f(a) such that f : V → W has a continuous inverse f−1 : W → V which is differentiable for all y ∈ W.

The Jacobian not being singular is a sufficient condition for a function to have an inverse (locally), not a necessary one.

Likes mr.tea
Samy_A said:
Yes.

Let's look at the precise statement of the inverse function theorem:

Let f : ℝn → ℝn be continuously differentiable on some open set containing a, and suppose that Df(a) is not singular. Then there is some open set V containing a and an open W containing f(a) such that f : V → W has a continuous inverse f−1 : W → V which is differentiable for all y ∈ W.

The Jacobian not being singular is a sufficient condition for a function to have an inverse (locally), not a necessary one.

OK, great. I think I have got it.
By the way, do you know a good book for self learning multivariable analysis?(standard course for mathematicians)

Thank you again!

mr.tea said:
OK, great. I think I have got it.
By the way, do you know a good book for self learning multivariable analysis?(standard course for mathematicians)

Thank you again!
This insight from @micromass may help.

Likes micromass

1. What is an invertible function?

An invertible function is a function that has a unique output for every input and can be reversed to find the original input from the output. This means that the function has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and range.

2. How do you prove that a function is a bijection?

To prove that a function is a bijection, you need to show that it is both injective and surjective. This means that for every output, there is a unique input, and every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain.

3. What is the importance of proving a function is a bijection?

Proving that a function is a bijection is important because it guarantees that the function has an inverse, which can be used to solve equations and find the original input from the output. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the domain and range of a function.

4. How do you find the inverse of an invertible function?

To find the inverse of an invertible function, you need to switch the positions of the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting function will be the inverse of the original function.

5. Can all functions be inverted?

No, not all functions can be inverted. Only functions that are one-to-one, meaning they have a unique output for every input, can be inverted. Functions that are not one-to-one, such as y = x^2, cannot be inverted as they have multiple outputs for the same input.