Prove Invertibility of I+A When A^k=0

• Thread starter kidsmoker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, we need to show that I + A is invertible, given that A is an nxn matrix with A^k=0 for some natural integer k. We can use algebra to construct an inverse, by considering the product (I + A)(I - A + A^2 - ...) and using the distributive rule, remembering that A^k=0. This will give us the idea for the general case, similar to a geometric series.
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

Let A be an nxn matrix such that A^k=0 for some natural integer k (0 is the nxn zero matrix). Show that I + A is invertible, where I is the nxn identity matrix.

Homework Equations

Invertible implies det(I+A) not equal zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start with this one. I can see that A itself must be non-invertible, but I can't seem to get any more conditions on A based on that fact that A^k=0. Could anyone give me a hint please?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint :
[tex]I-A^k=(I+A)(I-A+A^2-A^3+...+(-A)^{k-1})[/tex]

kidsmoker said:
Let A be an nxn matrix such that A^k=0 for some natural integer k (0 is the nxn zero matrix). Show that I + A is invertible, where I is the nxn identity matrix.

Invertible implies det(I+A) not equal zero.

Hi kidsmoker! :smile:

Forget determinants … use algebra, and construct an inverse!

Hint: I = I - Ak :wink:

Edit: ooh, boaz … that's too near a complete solution! :wink:

To get you thinking, suppose [tex] A^3 = 0 [/tex]. What happens when you fully multiply and collect terms for the product

[tex]
(I + A) (I - A + A^2)
[/tex]

Use the distributive rule for multiplication, remember that [tex] A^3 = 0 [/tex]. If you make this work, you will have the idea for general case. (The pattern should remind you of the geometric series for numbers:

[tex]
\frac 1 {1 + x} = 1 -x + x^2 - x^3 + \dots
[/tex]

with the big difference that the matrix problem doesn't involve an infinite series.)

Man, some of these other people are FAST on the keyboard.

Okay thanks you guys, got it :p

1. How do you prove the invertibility of I+A when A^k=0?

To prove the invertibility of I+A when A^k=0, we can use the Neumann series theorem. This theorem states that if A^n=0 for some positive integer n, then I+A is invertible and its inverse can be expressed as a geometric series.

2. What is the significance of A^k=0 in proving invertibility?

A^k=0 is significant because it means that A is a nilpotent matrix, which implies that all its eigenvalues are equal to zero. This makes it easier to prove the invertibility of I+A using the Neumann series theorem.

3. Can you provide an example of a matrix A that satisfies A^k=0?

One example of a matrix A that satisfies A^k=0 is the zero matrix of any size. This is because any power of the zero matrix will also result in a zero matrix.

4. Are there any other methods for proving the invertibility of I+A when A^k=0?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem or using the Jordan canonical form of A. However, the Neumann series theorem is often the simplest and most straightforward approach.

5. Is it possible for I+A to be invertible when A^k does not equal 0?

No, if A^k does not equal 0, then the Neumann series theorem cannot be used to prove the invertibility of I+A. In this case, we would need to use other methods to determine the invertibility of I+A.