1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invertible Matrix

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If A is a an mxn matrix and its column vectors are linearly independent.

Prove that the matrix AtA is nonsingular. Hint: Use the fact that it is sufficient to show that null(AtA) = {0}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm new to this topic & I don't understand the hint given and how exactly to use it to prove the question...

I know that in order for a matrix to be nonsingular/invertible it has to be squre (m=n) and when you multiply the a matrix by its transpose, the resulting matrix would be square.
    I'm also thinking about the properties of fundamental spaces of matrices that: row(A) = null(A) and col(A)=null(At) (therefore null(AtA) = row(A).col(A)?)

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the columns of A are linearly independent, doesn't that mean null(A)={0}? Now suppose A^(T)A were singular and think about x^(T)A^(T)*Ax, where x is a column vector in R^n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook