Inverting Functions Homework: Find f^{-1}(S) for Sets A, B and S

• Thread starter rooski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, for the given function f(x) = x - floor(x) and set S = { y: 0 < y < 1 }, the inverse function f^{-1}(S) is the set of all nonzero numbers that are not whole numbers. For the function f(x) = x^{3}-7x+16 and set S = { y: 10 <= y <= 22 }, the inverse function f^{-1}(S) is the set of all real numbers between -3 and 3, including -3, 3, -2, 2, -1, and 1. For the function f(t) = (cos(t),sin(t)) and set S = { (x,y):
rooski

Homework Statement

for sets A, B and S with S being a subset of B, and a function f: A --> B we define:

f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) = { a [tex]\in A[/tex] : f(a) [tex]\in S[/tex] }

find f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) for:

1) f(x) = x - floor(x) where S = { y: 0 < y < 1 }

2) f(x) = x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-7x+16 where S = { y: 10 <= y <= 22 }

3) f(t) = (cos(t),sin(t)) where S = { (x,y): x < 0, y > 0 }

My attempted work:

I can't find any questions similar to this in my notebook and textbook! I don't even know how to begin. I know that (x - floor(x)) is the same as (x % 1). Am i supposed to find the inverse of the function such that it satisfies the boundaries of S?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is exactly what the problem says. If y= x- floor(x) the x= what in terms of y?
If [itex]y= x^3- 7x+ 16[/itex], then x= what in terms of y?

But your last problem is written incorrectly. f(t)= cos(t)sin(t) is a numerical function. Did you mean f(t)= (cos(t), sin(t))?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry, yes i meant to have a comma there.

Also, when S is a set, f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) typically means "the set of things that f sends to S", a meaning of f[tex]^{-1}[/tex] distinct from "the inverse function of f". So i think i need to find the set that satisfies the constraints of S, right?

For question 1, the numbers that will satisfy are all nonzero numbers which are not whole numbers.

Someone told me that i am supposed to write my answer like: f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) = { stuff in thing | stuff not in thing and stuff > 0 } although i find that somewhat vague. I assume "thing" means S.

So my attempt at an answer is f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) = { Q [tex]\cap[/tex] R\Q | Z } although i doubt that's right. :confused:

My attempt at question 2 isn't getting far either. x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-7x = y-16

I can't isolate x though. :(

Last edited:
rooski said:
Ah sorry, yes i meant to have a comma there.

Also, when S is a set, f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) typically means "the set of things that f sends to S", a meaning of f[tex]^{-1}[/tex] distinct from "the inverse function of f". So i think i need to find the set that satisfies the constraints of S, right?
Absolutely! For example, the function [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] is not invertible as a function on the real numbers but you can still ask about [itex]f^{-1}(-1, 4)[/itex], say. That would be the set of all real numbers, x, such that [itex]x^2[/itex] is in (-1, 4). That is just (-2, 2).

The very first time I got up before a class in graduate school to do a proof, it was precisely a problem dealing with "[itex]f^{-1}(A)[/itex]" where A was a set- I stupidly did the whole thing assuming f was invertible!

For question 1, the numbers that will satisfy are all nonzero numbers which are not whole numbers.
Yes, that is correct.

Someone told me that i am supposed to write my answer like: f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) = { stuff in thing | stuff not in thing and stuff > 0 } although i find that somewhat vague. I assume "thing" means S.
I have no idea what that means. Was it your teacher who told you that? If it was, ask your teacher for clarification. If not, ignore it.

[/quote]So my attempt at an answer is f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](S) = { Q [tex]\cap[/tex] R\Q | Z } although i doubt that's right. :confused:[/quote]
Q? Rational numbers? Why mention rational numbers at all? [itex]Q\cap R[/itex] is just R.

My attempt at question 2 isn't getting far either. x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-7x = y-16

I can't isolate x though. :(
I suggest graphing the function. Also look at \(\displaystyle y'= 3x^2- 7\) to determine where the max and min values of y are.

I suggest graphing the function. Also look at \(\displaystyle y'= 3x^2- 7\) to determine where the max and min values of y are.

So i get x = sqrt(7/3) and x = -1 * sqrt(7/3)

Not sure how that will help me though. Plugging that into the original equation just gives me an obscure result.

So using the boundaries 10 and 22 i noticed that the x intercepts are -3, 3, -2, 2, -1 and 1.

So i can say f-1(S) = { y E R : ( -3 <= y <= -2 V -1<= y <= 1 V 2 <= y <= 3 ) } right?

What is the purpose of finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S?

The purpose of finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S is to determine the set of all input values that produce a given output value in the inverse function. This is useful in solving equations and understanding the relationship between a function and its inverse.

How do I find f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S?

To find f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S, you need to follow a few steps. First, write out the function f(x) in the form of y = f(x). Then, switch the x and y variables to obtain x = f-1(y). Next, solve for y to get the inverse function f-1(x). Finally, plug in the values of the given set S into the inverse function to find f-1(S).

What are the common mistakes to avoid when finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S?

One common mistake is forgetting to switch the x and y variables when writing out the inverse function. Another mistake is not solving for y properly, leading to an incorrect inverse function. It is also important to check that the given set S contains values that are in the domain of the original function, otherwise the inverse function will not be defined for those values.

Why is finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S important in calculus?

In calculus, finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S is important because it allows us to determine the derivative of the inverse function. This is useful in solving optimization problems and in finding the slope of tangent lines to the inverse function. It also helps in understanding the relationship between a function and its inverse in terms of their rates of change.

Are there any real-life applications of finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding f-1(S) for Sets A, B, and S. For example, in economics, it can be used to determine the demand curve for a particular good or service. In engineering, it can be used to design systems that have an inverse relationship, such as voltage and current in an electrical circuit. It also has applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields that involve mathematical modeling.