1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverting the Metric Tensor

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    My cosmology textbook tells me that if I raise the indicies on the metric tensor (from subscript to superscript), then all I have to do is divide one by each element. But from what I know about inverting matricies, the process is quite a bit more involved. When I raise the indicies on the metric tensor, is this analogous to taking the inverse of a matrix? If not, then what is the mathematical meaning of this procedure?

Any hints would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes raising the indices of the metric is analogous to taking the inverse of a matrix:
    [tex](g)_{ab}(g^{-1})^{bc}=g_{ab}g^{bc}=\delta_a{}^c=(I)_a{}^c[/tex]

If your cosmology book says "divide one by each element", your metrics are probably diagonal in the basis used.

4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    Oh, I think I understand now. Are you saying that in the special case of a diagonal matrix, the inverse can be found by dividing one by each element?

5. Oct 3, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if the metric has an inverse (i.e., is non-degenerate). This is very easy to check!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?