1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigating a Rolling Ball-Bearing

1. Mar 9, 2004 #1
    Hi, I am doing some analysis into a ball rolling down a ramp which is raised and lowered to different heights, and the time the ball takes to travel the length of the ramp is recorded. The ramp is 120cm long, and the ball has a mass of 0.02815kg and diameter of 19mm.

I am trying to find some calculations, and poins which I can make about this set up, but so far have only very basic calculations.

If you know of anything I can talk about, or calculate, then any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It shouldn't be too hard to predict the time it will take for the ball to roll down the ramp for a given angle.

For a first pass model, assume that the ball bearing has uniform density and that the ball rolls without slip down the ramp.

Find the net torque to find the (constant) acceleration down the ramp. Keep in mind that a = Rα (that could be negative depending on your sign convention; just stay consistent). With the acceleration known, the time calculation should be easy. Please post your work if you have any trouble with this so we can help some more.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?