How can I minimize uncertainty in circular motion experiments?

In summary, the experiment investigated the centripetal force required for different masses, radii and velocity. To reduce the effects of systematic and random error, the author used a smaller mass and measured the radius. The results were less uncertain when the smaller mass was used.
Seneka
Homework Statement
What are the systematic and random errors associated with this experiment? How can I reduce the effects of these? How can I reduce percentage uncertainty?
Relevant Equations
-
Random error would be to do with not swinging the bung in a perfect circle so when I try to measure velocity, that would vary. Measurement of radius.

How would I decrease percentage uncertainty?
Use a smaller mass so that I get a larger radius so I can measure a longer length.

Attachments

• 15580981336687178865598015439203.jpg
    15580981336687178865598015439203.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seriously? You're going to post the image sideways so we have to get a kink in our necks to look at it? Not a good idea.

phinds said:
Seriously? You're going to post the image sideways so we have to get a kink in our necks to look at it? Not a good idea.
I've adjusted it now.

Great. Now if you could just make it readable ...

phinds said:
Great. Now if you could just make it readable ...
There's not much to read. The diagram says it all. The procedure just says to swing the bung in a horizontal circle until the suspended weight remains stationary as this is when the weight is equal to the centripetal force. The paperclip acts as a marker to make this movement clear.

It's investigating the centripetal force required for different masses, radii and velocity. So the measurements taken will be the radii and velocity.

Seneka said:
There's not much to read. The diagram says it all.
No, the diagram doesn't say anything. It is unreadable. I'm disconnecting from this thread.

Seneka said:
Problem Statement: What are the systematic and random errors associated with this experiment? How can I reduce the effects of these? How can I reduce percentage uncertainty?
Relevant Equations: -

Random error would be to do with not swinging the bung in a perfect circle so when I try to measure velocity, that would vary. Measurement of radius.

How would I decrease percentage uncertainty?
Use a smaller mass so that I get a larger radius so I can measure a longer length.

The problem here is that this appears to be part of your school work, and that YOU are the one who is supposed to come up with all the answers that you have asked here. So I'm not sure if you wish for us to confirm what you have written, or wanting us to tell you what other factors are involved in the uncertainty and errors in the experiment. The latter means that we will be answering and doing this part of your report for you.

Zz.

I viewed this on my laptop which I turned sideways, and I saw quite a few things missing in your post.
You want us to evaluate your efforts to understand your sources of error before you submit a report.
First, for that to happen how did you conduct the experiment? Its title is "Investigating circular motion", but all you show is a procedure. You need to show what you measured, explain how you measured it, discuss what sense you make of it and any provide additional information about measures you took to limit systematic error. In a nutshell, only you know what you did, why and how; more information is needed for us to comment on your methods.
Second, you mention a couple of sources of random error, not being able to swing in a perfect circle and measurement of the radius. Did you make an effort to see how reproducible your results are? Did you plot your results to see how much scatter there is from the predicted curve?
Third, you say that in order to reduce uncertainty (you need to) "Use a smaller mass so that I get a larger radius so I can measure a longer length." Why would that reduce uncertainty? You should be able to tell whether it did, considering that the procedure actually required you to use different masses. Were your results less uncertain when you used the smaller masses?

That's just for starters.

ZapperZ said:
@kuruman
The problem here is that this appears to be part of your school work, and that YOU are the one who is supposed to come up with all the answers that you have asked here. So I'm not sure if you wish for us to confirm what you have written, or wanting us to tell you what other factors are involved in the uncertainty and errors in the experiment. The latter means that we will be answering and doing this part of your report for you.

It's not a for a school report. I'm writing short summaries of potential investigations I could be asked to write about in my exam. The below is an example of the kind of things they'd want me to write in the exam. The procedure and analysis is something I didn't write out in detail because it's not hard to come up with it in the exam if I have a rough idea of what the experiment is. It's the uncertainty stuff that I struggle with which is why I want to know if the things I suggested are wrong and if there's anything else I can write for it.
I just found this question. It would be something like this. But sometimes they may ask what the errors are associated with such an experiment and how we can get more precise and accurate results and etcQUOTE]

Last edited:
Seneka said:
It's not a for a school report. I'm writing short summaries of potential investigations I could be asked to write about in my exam. The below is an example of the kind of things they'd want me to write in the exam. The procedure and analysis is something I didn't write out in detail because it's not hard to come up with it in the exam if I have a rough idea of what the experiment is. It's the uncertainty stuff that I struggle with which is why I want to know if the things I suggested are wrong and if there's anything else I can write for it.
I just found this question. It would be something like this. But sometimes they may ask what the errors are associated with such an experiment and how we can get more precise and accurate results and etc
If your goal is to get good marks, then I suggest that you actually perform the experiment yourself and see first hand what the issues are with all the aspects of the experiment. What looks good on paper may not work as well in reality. There could be hidden pitfalls that you don't know are there until you fall in.

kuruman said:
If your goal is to get good marks, then I suggest that you actually perform the experiment yourself and see first hand what the issues are with all the aspects of the experiment. What looks good on paper may not work as well in reality. There could be hidden pitfalls that you don't know are there until you fall in.
My exams in three days...

Seneka said:
My exams in three days...
Then perhaps you can do some research on the web. This is a standard experiment and I am sure you will find several write ups, videos and perhaps descriptions of the issues associated with it. Good luck on your exams.

Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
Then perhaps you can do some research on the web. This is a standard experiment and I am sure you will find several write ups, videos and perhaps descriptions of the issues associated with it. Good luck on your exams.
Thanks. How do I delete/close this thread?

Seneka said:

You don't.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Seneka said:
No need to delete the thread, but I can close if for you if you want. PM me if anybody wants it re-opened or wants to post a follow-up. Thanks for everybody's contributions to helping the OP.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a curved path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant. This can be seen in objects such as a spinning top, a merry-go-round, or the Earth's rotation around the Sun.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion is different from linear motion because the direction of the object's movement is constantly changing in circular motion, while it remains constant in linear motion. Additionally, circular motion involves centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration towards the center of the circle.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, keeping the object in circular motion. It is required to counteract the object's tendency to continue moving in a straight line, according to Newton's first law of motion.

4. How is circular motion related to rotational motion?

Circular motion and rotational motion are closely related, as they both involve movement along a curved path. However, rotational motion specifically refers to the spinning of an object around an axis, while circular motion can involve any type of curved path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include the motion of a car around a roundabout, the movement of a spinning top, and the orbit of planets around the Sun. Other examples can include the motion of a swing or a rollercoaster, or the rotation of a ceiling fan.