1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigation help on kinematics

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently working on doing an investigation on the relationship between kinematics and base running techniques in baseball. I'm trying to find out if "rounding the bases" is better than running straight to each base and turning, but I haven't found how I should preform the experiment and using what variables I should evaluate the technique. Can someone give me advice on it? How can I measure the velocities of the runner running bases?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm currently thinking of using:
    - instantaneous velocity
    - average velocity
    - time taken to round bases
    to evaluate the techniques, but I'm really lost... please help thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume that the runner turns 90 degrees at each base. That means he has to stop his forward motion and immediately accelerate 90 degrees to the left at each base.

Compare that to a circular run (on a circle that touches on all bases and home plate) at constant speed.

Try using some reasonable assumptions about how long it takes to slow down and get back up to speed (how much distance is needed to slow to a stop - how much distance is required to accelerate to top speed)?. You might have to time somebody running some bases by starting/stopping at each base.

Do a speed v. time graph for each. Then work out the total time for each.

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the help, it helped a lot! I hope I will get good results from the investigation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook