1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigation of Heat Radiation

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    I am an advanced higher physics student and am doing my investigation on heat radiation. I have made a heating element out of constantan and am running 2.8 amps at 12 volts through it. I set up a cube container parallel to the heating element at a distance of 15 mm that contains 1.2 litres of water. I measure the temperature rise in the water during a 20 minute period in order to calculate the percentage energy put into the heating element that is absorbed by the cube. The square surface that the radiation hits measures 130 by 130 mm. The next step in my investigation is to vary distance and prove that intensity is proportional to the inverse of distance squared. To do this i need to be able to mathematically determine the sum of the intensity of radiation hitting the surface of the cube.

Can anyone help?

I would be most greatfull if all relevent working could be shown as i need to write an extensive report on my experiment.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted