Investigatory project in physics

In summary, In physics, you can explore concepts like gravity, electricity, mechanics, and more. These concepts can be explored in a variety of ways, depending on what interests you.
nyita
please give me a topic for my investigatory project in physics.. i am only 15 years old.. so.. i need a topic that will fit for my age.. hehe.. can you can you? please.. can't think of anything :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think age is an issue. Physics is all around you. What interests you? Astronomy? Mechanics? Technology?

I think it's best to find what you're interested in, then find out the Physics behind it.

How about special relativity. Its going to be simple to understand, and the math will be simple. Or the photoelecrtic effect, that is quantum but it is also very easy to understand and the math is easy.

nyita said:
please give me a topic for my investigatory project in physics.. i am only 15 years old.. so.. i need a topic that will fit for my age.. hehe.. can you can you? please.. can't think of anything :confused:
ahm think age is an issue *for me* .. i only need a simple topic.. something that would be easy to understand.. specially for those who are not that interested in physics.. like me? heheh.. its just that i hate energy laws or something.. but i don't hate science hehe i love chemistry all those chemical stuffs... neweiz it doesn't have to be complicated ayt...?

NSX said:
I don't think age is an issue. Physics is all around you. What interests you? Astronomy? Mechanics? Technology?

I think it's best to find what you're interested in, then find out the Physics behind it.
ahm think age is an issue *for me* .. i only need a simple topic.. something that would be easy to understand.. specially for those who are not that interested in physics.. like me? heheh.. its just that i hate energy laws or something.. but i don't hate science hehe i love chemistry all those chemical stuffs... neweiz it doesn't have to be complicated ayt...?

Nenad said:
How about special relativity. Its going to be simple to understand, and the math will be simple. Or the photoelecrtic effect, that is quantum but it is also very easy to understand and the math is easy.

hey what about special relativity? or photoelectric effect? OMG don't know that stuffs at all... :uhh: can you tell me something bout that? i need a problem bout those stuff... hey I am sorry.. hehe i really dunt know that.. :frown: please help me... please mwahugz thankies ! :biggrin:

I was 14 when I did a project on Simple Harmonic Motion. Do a google search on it.

Any time you use a mathematical equation to describe a system and predict things about it you are doing physics. Some extremely simple ideas might be:

Gravity

This can be done with something that falls, a stopwatch, and carefull measurements. Your goal would be to find the time it takes the object to fall different hights and plot them on a graph. Then you would try to find an equation that described it. Of course, we already know what equation describes it, so it would be an easy task.

Electricity

This will require a measurement device (a voltemeter), some wirings, batteries and other odds and ends. You can get everything you need at radioshack. You can explore the relationship of voltage, resistance and current. You could also bring in things like capacitors and inductors to explore their effect on the system.

Mechanics

The suggestion for the simple harmonic oscilator is a good one. How about the force required to bend various thickness of a piece of metal or metals? The hardness of various objects?

Those sound too simple to me, but they can be made more complicated without much work. I can also think of slightly more advanced projects that are still reasonably easy. Electrochemistry sure sounds complicated, but you can do a lot of neat experiments in that are reasonably simple, don't cost too much and look great.

Some trial and error is required here. Choose an idea. Explore it. If it doesen't work, do the next. Picking an idea that you can do is probably the toughest part of this.

I second Locrian's last point. At 16 I spent ages trying to think of a Physics project which would both interest me and satisfy the (vague) project brief. I ended up looking at distortion of guitar signals through an amplifier and relating my findings to the actual sounds found in music.
Guitar in lab + 1960s throwback physics lab technician = hours of jamming! Just DO pick something you're interested in, or you'll end up spending 4 weeks studying transient temperature properties of glue. Mmm.

Forced oscillation with a spring.

Mathematical look at a guitar fret board, especially in regards to overtones.

Moment of Inertia of rolling objects down a ramp. (Vary the size, mass, and mass distribution and note which cylinders roll down fastest.) Would also be a good demonstration of random and systematic error.

nyita said:
hey what about special relativity? or photoelectric effect? OMG don't know that stuffs at all... :uhh: can you tell me something bout that? i need a problem bout those stuff... hey I am sorry.. hehe i really dunt know that.. :frown: please help me... please mwahugz thankies ! :biggrin:

How about quantum dots? Read the book "Hacking Matter" and you'll know all about it. You don't have to build anything do you?

Quantum dots are a form of a thing that makes programmable atoms. Programmable atoms, meaning one can create any atom's properties they want, by running a certin amount of electric current though the quantum dot. Only properties not represented are its half-life and radiation related stuff. Very costly at this point though. What physics class are you taking? Like Intro to Physics?

nyita said:
hehe i really dunt know that.. :frown: please help me... please mwahugz thankies ! :biggrin:

by the way... what does "mwahugz thankies" mean? Really, I want to know

Much hugs, thanks... or
mugs thankies...
or is it like "fer schizzle muh nizzler fer fizzle schizzle!"

You could do a project on lasers and optics. Nowadays you can get a high quality laser pointer for about $20 (Canadian) that are supposed to be able to make holograms. Never tried it myself so I admit I'm a little skeptical, but hey it's worth looking into. Or perhaps do a project centred around using a laser pointer to recreate Young's double slit demonstration on the wave nature of light. Tonnes of options if you decide to go down the optics route.

Mk said:
by the way... what does "mwahugz thankies" mean? Really, I want to know

Much hugs, thanks... or
mugs thankies...
or is it like "fer schizzle muh nizzler fer fizzle schizzle!"

heyyy i love yah hehe :biggrin: mwahugz> MWAH like a smack or a kiss ayt? hugz like hugs! hehehe.. <mwahugz> like hugs and kisses.. :biggrin: thankies means thanks a lot.. :biggrin:

btw thanks for your suggestion but i don't know that quantum dots thing.. deym its makin me sick... hate that investigatory project! you know all those stuffs like stating ur problem then ur conclusions [cant even think of any problem what more on my conclusions if i don't know what I am really talking about!] waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :cry: and you have to do a survey and everything.. but hey its a group work but they're counting on me.. waaah can you believe that? they're depending on me but i know nothinggggg! I am sorry i said all those things hehe can't stop myself...

Locrian said:
Electrochemistry sure sounds complicated, but you can do a lot of neat experiments in that are reasonably simple, don't cost too much and look great.

Some trial and error is required here. Choose an idea. Explore it. If it doesen't work, do the next. Picking an idea that you can do is probably the toughest part of this.

hi Locrian thanks a lot .. hey i think that electrochemistry thing sounds interesting.. coz you said i can do a lot of neat experiments that are simple and won't cost me too much.. can you give me one exmple of experiment? whew i just don't know what those stuffs are so i can't think what are related to that,what can be done, or anything.. coz my physics teacher... aaww .. we already spent 2 months together and the only thing that he ever taught bout physics is that vector thing! and it took 2 weeks for him to discuss all bout that.. can you believe that? i don't think vector is a complicated topic and he treats us like a kinder or something.. and then during the first half month we had trigonometry on our physics.. whew whatta... see i still don't know anything and physics is not my ... you know.. i like more chemistry than physics.. I am not even that interested in physics.. there's too many formula its pissin me off... :(

please help me.. i think that one sounds good... thanks mwahugz..

JohnDubYa said:
Forced oscillation with a spring.

Mathematical look at a guitar fret board, especially in regards to overtones.

Moment of Inertia of rolling objects down a ramp. (Vary the size, mass, and mass distribution and note which cylinders roll down fastest.) Would also be a good demonstration of random and systematic error.

hey thanks i think that one is interesting too.. moment of inertia.. [would also be a good demonstration of random and systematic error] what's that? like trial and error something? am i right? hey can you help me? Moment of Inertia of rolling objects down a ramp >> it's ok if that's my problem or i mean the title of my Investigatory Project? right?

nyita said:
heyyy i love yah hehe :biggrin: mwahugz> MWAH like a smack or a kiss ayt? hugz like hugs! hehehe.. <mwahugz> like hugs and kisses.. :biggrin: thankies means thanks a lot.. :biggrin:

Thankies! MWAHhuggies! :wink:

hey everyone common don't keep me waiting... i need yer replies... waah P-L-E-A-S-E!

Okay, here's one that is Electrochemistry and Physics - all rolled into one. And you can make the investigation as easy or hard as you want.

The lemon battery ! :biggrin: Google it.

I did that one year when I was little. Fun project, the lemon battery.

One very simple electrochemistry based experiment is one I do in the lab for practical reasons regularly. Rust removal! We've had some VERY VERY rusty pieces of metal come through the lab. Neither scraping nor chemical treatments removed all the rust.

To do rust removal you need:

A low voltage power source (probably the only thing you'll have any trouble getting)
A voltmeter (experimental tool you'll just have to have, they are only like $15)
Baking soda
A piece of metal (preferably aluminum)
A little wiring
Something rusty

You connect the rusty item to the negative pole of the power source. 6 volts is fine, but 15 really gets things moving :) . Connect the piece of metal to the positive terminal. Put them in water - make sure they do not touch! Add baking soda, turn on the power supply, and they will begin to bubble. Depending on your voltage, the time to clean varies. When the object comes out, the side that was facing your piece of metal is completely removed of rust.

I know there are websites out there telling how to do this as well. I will give more details if you are interested.

There are also some reasonably easy experiments in which you plate one piece of metal with something; say coat a nickel with copper, or the like.

To make the experiment more scientific, you would use the voltmeter to record things such as voltage and current. You could vary the amount of baking soda you add. Things of that nature.

I'll add more detail if you are interested.

Hey guy,

I have been in your shoes before. I really did not care for science much in grade school, had a lot of bad teachers, but that's another story. I would find something that interest you, and based on your age, I would think cars might be right up your ally. I would start by perhaps looking at different fuels used in cars, why one fuel cannot be used in a certain engine, i.e might cause 'ping' or nocking, and the science why that is. Also, you could look at why the tires of the car have different pressure ratings, why would you possibly need high pressure or low pressure tires, and what is their applications. You could also look at the use of spoilers and aerodynamics of cars. Another good thing to learn about is how the engine works. A neat project. You could get a lot of good physics in there. You would have a good handel on torque, the combustion process, etc, not to mention the alternator, which creates current. There is TONS of great physics in the automobile that isint boring at all. You would have a blast doing that. If you wanted a visual display, i think monogram or revell even sells a plastic working model of an engine that sells for around 60 bucks. Its clear plastic and you can see how the engine works as you crank it. A neat visual aid in your studies. You would also impress your buds as you talk about cars and know more than which one 'looks good', but then again, isint that all that really matters in the end :-p

-Cyrus

hey what's lemon battery? dunt knoe that one... can you say what that thing is..?

rust removal? ok i think its interesting.. but can that be my investigatory project? i think its kinda difrent from my classmates coz what they got was like about pendulum, somethin bout mass, gravity, inertia etc... i think that more of chemistry? but i do like that one.. i think that's very easy n simple.. ayt?

aw 60 bucks.. i live here in the philippines so where would i get that one.. hey thanks but i think that's complicated..

Sure, electrochemistry is pretty chemistry related. If that's not what you were looking for, you could concentrate just on the electrical part. Do you have a radio shack type store in the Phillipenes? I know they are pretty common.

hey mr. Locrian =) its Philippines.. hehe btw I am interested in rust removal... I asked my teacher.. He said that's more on chemistry but its also OK if its a combination of Physics and Chem.. But MY problem is, dunt knoe how that can be? combination? ... please help me Locrian...mwahugggggggggzzzzzzzz

Locrian where are you...!

1. What is an investigatory project in physics?

An investigatory project in physics is a scientific research project that aims to investigate a specific problem or question related to the field of physics. It involves conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing results to come up with a conclusion that can contribute to the understanding of a particular concept or phenomenon in physics.

2. How do you choose a topic for an investigatory project in physics?

Choosing a topic for an investigatory project in physics can be challenging, but it should be something that you are interested in and have a good understanding of. It can also be based on current issues or problems in society that can be addressed using physics principles. Additionally, it should be feasible and can be conducted with the resources and time available.

3. What are the steps involved in conducting an investigatory project in physics?

The steps involved in conducting an investigatory project in physics are:

• Choose a topic and formulate a research question
  • Conduct background research and gather information
  • Formulate a hypothesis
  • Design and conduct experiments
  • Collect and analyze data
  • Draw conclusions and present results

4. What are some examples of investigatory projects in physics?

Some examples of investigatory projects in physics are:

• Investigating the effect of temperature on the strength of magnets
  • Studying the relationship between the angle of a pendulum and its period
  • Exploring the use of renewable energy sources like solar panels
  • Analyzing the effects of different types of forces on the motion of an object
  • Investigating the properties of light and its behavior

5. How can an investigatory project in physics contribute to the field of science?

An investigatory project in physics can contribute to the field of science by providing new insights and understanding of a particular phenomenon or concept. It can also lead to the development of new technologies or applications that can improve our daily lives. Additionally, it can inspire further research and studies in the field of physics, leading to new discoveries and advancements.