Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investing in science

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Simple question:

What do you think would be the best science or technology related companies to invest in today? What will be the next Microsoft?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2
    I believe producing another Microsoft requires a strong heart, talent and determination, not money. Thus easiest would be spending money to improve the education and increasing the future talent.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Why don't you do your own research rather than getting others to do it for you?

5. Jan 15, 2010 #4
    Either I or you misunderstood. I thought it is about large scale investments/findings; but now I think it is about personal investments (like buying Thorium which was mentioned in another thread)

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    I stopped myself from quoting your original post to point out that you completely misunderstood his post. He's basically trying to get tips for personal stock investment.

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If anyone knew what the next Microsoft was going to be...

8. Jan 16, 2010 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got the idea from the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=367389" thread that Greg started and thought that it would make an interesting topic for the General Discussion forum. I'm just curious to hear what the learned people of this forum think about what the next big thing might be. It doesn't mean that I'm going to rush out an sink all my money in Thorium futures. :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Jan 16, 2010 #8
    Netflix maybe. Or maybe it's too late and that has already gotten big.

10. Jan 16, 2010 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, technology for storing energy such as improved batteries, supercaps etc will probably become increasingly important over the next decade or so.
    There was an article about a start-up working on supercaps based on nanotubes in Science (or perhaps Nature), it is one of very few companies that succeeded in getting some of Chu's money.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook