Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investment forums?

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    Does anyone here by any chance know of any reliable/knowledgeable forums about investing/financial matters?

I'm looking for something fairly well moderated, kind of like physics forums, where I can learn about investing, and be reasonably confident that I'm not readign garbage. I will be graduating in a few months, and when I have a job, I intend to invest some money (or maybe I'll wait until I pay off my student loans).

Anyone know any good forums?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Always have an emergency fund, for some reason, nearly no one has one. Credit cards aren't considered an emergency fund.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I laughed a bit when I read this. I have an emergency fund, then I got a line of credit with the bank, then I got the biggest credit limit possible on my credit card. The safety net is so big that I could realistically be unemployed for 3 straight years without having to sell anything. :biggrin:

I try to follow stuff posted by Bylo Selhi (that's not his real name). He always has lots of links to other sites, news articles, etc. It gives a nice overall sense of what's going on.

edit: I'll save you a bit and reading and just sum up it all up - don't buy mutual funds.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know about you guys, but if I were investing, I would be look into the mathematics aspect of it and not the whole thing Jim Cramer does. Sure it probably works reasonably well, but I doubt it's better than following real financial models.

8. Dec 5, 2007 #7

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Cramer is a chart reader. He has no idea what he's doing and he picks things based on when they're going up. He'll have no idea if the company is even making money, but the chart is going up so it's clearly a buy (sarcasm).

http://www.stocktagger.com seems to be following every move Cramer makes.
    Henry Blodget wrote a nice little article bashing Cramer (nice because it has links in it).
    One of the links in that article shows how a portfolio of passive index funds outperformed Cramer by upwards of 20%
    Beaten by an index, as are a lot of agressive/speculative portfolios. I'll bet Cramer makes most of his money by selling books.

edit: You can also compare Cramer's returns to the S&P 500 index. wiki lists their anual return from 1994-2006. In 2006 it was 15.8%, which is actually very good, and there have been several years with even higher returns than that.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. Dec 5, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently, there is a company (from class) that chooses stocks based on where the darts land when they throw it to wall full of stocks. Apparently, on average, that portfolio makes more than the top paid money managers.

I would read into Financial Engineering because that's where it's at. (Or Mathematics of Finance.)

10. Dec 5, 2007 #9
    He made millions in the 80s, but now because of his show he can't trade for himself. I take his advise with a grain of salt, but hey, his show is entertainment and gets ppl excited about investing.

11. Dec 5, 2007 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a great way to learn about different existing companies out there. It beats sitting in a chair and clicking on different companies and seeing what they do.

12. Dec 5, 2007 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Very true. His show is a good source of news.

13. Dec 5, 2007 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Spammer spotted.

http://www.viettimes.net/node/326
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071110191051AAUbhRP

http://chao-vietnam.blogspot.com/2007/11/vietnamese-soldiers-hunt-for-hundreds.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?