Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Involutions (of real functions)

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    the following problem popped in a different thread but the original one went off-topic, and I thought this question deserved a thread itself:

Let's consider the entire set of the real functions [tex]f:\Re\rightarrow\Re[/tex]
    A function [tex]f[/tex], with the property [tex]f=f^{-1}[/tex] is called involution.

How many involutions is it possible to find in the set of real functions?
    I know the following three forms: are there more?

[tex]f(x)=a-x[/tex]

[tex]f(x)=\frac{a}{x}[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x-a}+a[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2
    Your second and third examples are undefined for x=0, x=a respectively, so they do not give involutions R->R.

Edit: If you define f(0)=0, f(a)=a respectively, this does give involutions, although discontinuous ones.

As another example, the non-continuous function that swaps the intervals [0,1] and [2,3] is an involution. You may want to consider only continuous, differentiable or analytic functions.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    ...you are actually right.
    I'll try to state my problem in a better way:

Let's consider a subset of the real numbers [tex]A \subseteq \Re[/tex], and the family of continous functions [tex]f:A \rightarrow A[/tex]

In this way, all the functions I listed should be involutions. The second and the third one are involutions by simply letting [tex]A = \Re - \{0\}[/tex] and [tex]A = \Re - \{a\}[/tex]

My question remains the same: what/how many are the involution which we can define?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook