Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Involving Rate determining steps

1. Nov 20, 2003 #1
    I have no idea how to figure this one out, I've been hacking away at it all evening. Please help :frown:

Consider the general reaction:

2A + B --> 2E + F

The experimentally determined rate law equation is written as follows:

Rate = k[A]

A proposed mechanism for the reaction has the first step below:

Step 1: A + B --> C + F (rate determinging step)

Assuming a two-step mechanism, write a possible second elementary reaction for this mechanism.

And this is what I have but I'm not sure if its right. And I'm totally puzzled as to how they get rid of the C.

Step1: A + B --> C + F
    Step2: A --> C- + 2E
    ------------------------
    2A + B --> 2E + F

It has to be totally wrong since they've given me a rate law which I have no idea how to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HW, so this is going to be a step at a time: 1) what's the ORDER of the reaction --- you've got a rate expression; 2) what else does the rate expression tell you; 3) WHAT is "C"?

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3
    You're almost there. For the second equation put C on the left side. That should do it.

5. Nov 24, 2003 #4
    Do what meninger said. C is the intermediate in the reaction, therefore it can't be in the final product at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?