How Does Compressing Fully Ionized Gas Accelerate Ions to High Energies?

In summary: It's a ring type current, I(r).Current density variation means that the current at each r has a different value.If these two are correct then what does it mean that 1. the current variation toward axis results in a magnetic field 2. variation in r direction yields azimuthal magnetic field (theta) and axial electric field (z).The first statement means that the direction of the current (i.e. the motion of the particles) creates a magnetic field. The second statement means that the current's direction affects the direction and strength of the electric field around the particles. The third statement describes the relationship between the electric field and the axial magnetic field.
naviakam
Fully ionized gas, if compressed to a cylinder of mm scale, collapses rapidly and accelerates the e/ions to very high energies (MeV). The temperature in the compressed gas is around 100 eV.
What could be the possible acceleration mechanism?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me re-write it as:
Ionized gas (as a result of kV potential), if compressed (by magnetic field) to a mm cylinder, collapses rapidly and accelerates the e/ions to MeV.
What could be the possible acceleration mechanism?

The question is how a magnetic field, while compresses the ions, cause acceleration? How the related equation could be written for such condition?

Are you asking about a Z-pinch?
What's a moving magnetic field in one reference frame is an electric field in another.

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
Are you asking about a Z-pinch?
What's a moving magnetic field in one reference frame is an electric field in another.
I don't know about "Z-pinch"?
Just interested to know (with BSc phys knowledge):
Isn’t it possible that time varying magnetic field surrounding ions, produces an electric field that accelerates the enclosed ions? And write down the equation!
In other word, how magnetic pressure produces electric field to energize the ions enclosed?

naviakam said:
I don't know about "Z-pinch"?
Wikipedia has an article about it. I even linked to the article.

Before there is any chance to answer your question you need to clearly describe the setup you think about. Hand-waving around isn't sufficient.

mfb said:
Wikipedia has an article about it. I even linked to the article.

Before there is any chance to answer your question you need to clearly describe the setup you think about. Hand-waving around isn't sufficient.
I found this explanation in an article that probably describe what I am looking for but ask to help me to understand it:
1612199292539.png

There are a few points here:
It's a ring type current, I(r).
Current density variation means that the current at each r has a different value.
If these two are correct then what does it mean that 1. the current variation toward axis results in a magnetic field 2. variation in r direction yields azimuthal magnetic field (theta) and axial electric field (z).

jedishrfu said:
Are you trying to design a plasma engine?
Not designing anything, just to understand which approach defines the condition and physically could be explained.

1. What is ion acceleration mechanism?

Ion acceleration mechanism refers to the process by which ions gain kinetic energy and are accelerated to high speeds. This can occur naturally in space or can be artificially produced in laboratory settings.

2. How does ion acceleration occur in space?

In space, ion acceleration can occur through various mechanisms such as solar wind, magnetic reconnection, and shock waves. These processes involve the interaction of charged particles with electric and magnetic fields, resulting in the acceleration of ions to high speeds.

3. What are some applications of ion acceleration in laboratory settings?

In laboratory settings, ion acceleration is used in fields such as nuclear physics, materials science, and medical research. It can be used to study the properties of matter at high energies, create new materials, and develop new medical treatments.

4. What are the different types of ion acceleration mechanisms?

There are several types of ion acceleration mechanisms, including electrostatic acceleration, radio frequency acceleration, and laser-driven acceleration. Each of these mechanisms utilizes different principles to accelerate ions to high speeds.

5. How is ion acceleration being used in space exploration?

Ion acceleration is being used in space exploration to propel spacecraft to high speeds and reach distant destinations. This is achieved through ion thrusters, which use electricity to accelerate ions and provide continuous thrust for long periods of time.