Ion Association of Dissolved Bases

• Thread starter clarinets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases Ion
In summary, the research scientist said that the hydroxides form ion pairs with the positive charges, so it is difficult to separate them. This was found to be true for all the tested electrolytes, with the salts NaCl and KCl as well as acetic acid producing a medium amount and HCl producing a high amount.
clarinets
I was told that when a base is dissolved in water, the ions form ion pairs so it is difficult to separate them completely; is this true? And if so, why wouldn't this apply to acids?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
clarinets said:
the ions form ion pairs so it is difficult to separate them completely

Without context (solvent?) it is hard to comment. What does it mean "to separate them"?

And yes, ion pairs are not limited to bases.

Well, my science fair project was to build a magnetohydrodynamic generator and to test different electrolytic fluids running through the generator. When I presented my project to a research scientist, he told me that my results (NaOH and KOH were by far the least-voltage producing, with the salts NaCl and KCl as well as acetic acid producing a medium amount and HCl producing a high amount) were due to the fact that the hydroxides form ion pairs with the positive charges, so that it is difficult to separate them. In case you are unfamiliar, the purpose of MHD generators is to separate the ions and send opposite charges to opposite electrode plates using a magnetic field.

There is something wrong with this explanation (it doesn't have to be entirely wrong, could be it is just some minor confusion). K+OH- ion pair doesn't have a positive charge - it is neutral.

Was it a water solution? Of what concentration? In water solutions - because of the high dielectric constant of water - ion pair creation is usually not observed, unless the solution is highly concentrated.

They were all 1 M, so low concentration.

I did some digging in my books. Association constant (which means an equilibrium constant for reaction of ion pair creation) for Na+/OH- pair is 0.2, that means in 1M solution about 15% of both ions will be paired. For KOH, NaCl and KCl solutions association constant was not determined (which probably means it was too small to be detected). 1M acetic acid is dissociated in less than 1%, so number of ions in the solution is 100 times smaller than in the NaCl or KCl case (and still orders of magnitude lower than in the case of NaOH).

Oh, thanks! That's really helpful. But my results indicated that acetic acid worked the third best our of all 6-what could have caused that?

1. What is ion association of dissolved bases?

Ion association of dissolved bases refers to the process in which positively charged ions from a base are surrounded by negatively charged ions from water molecules, forming a complex ion. This process occurs when a base dissolves in water and is affected by factors such as concentration, temperature, and pH.

2. How does ion association affect the properties of dissolved bases?

Ion association can impact the solubility, conductivity, and reactivity of dissolved bases. The formation of complex ions can alter the behavior of the base in solution, making it more or less reactive towards other substances.

3. What is the role of ion association in acid-base reactions?

Ion association plays a crucial role in acid-base reactions by influencing the strength of the base and its ability to donate hydroxide ions. The degree of ion association can also affect the equilibrium constant and the rate of the reaction.

4. How do factors like concentration and temperature affect ion association of dissolved bases?

Increasing the concentration of a dissolved base can lead to a higher degree of ion association, as there are more ions available to form complex ions. Temperature can also impact ion association by influencing the strength of the intermolecular forces between ions and water molecules.

5. Can ion association be reversed?

Yes, ion association can be reversed by changing the conditions of the solution, such as adjusting the concentration, temperature, or pH. This can cause the complex ions to dissociate and return to their original form as individual ions.