1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ion beam in E and B field problem

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of ions enters a region in which the electric field E and magnetic flux density B are normal to each other and both normal to the velocity of the ions. Show that if the velocity of the ions is related to the fields by

v=ExB/B2

then the ions pass through the region undeflected.

2. Relevant equations

Thinking of using

F=qvxB

but not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

Substituting v from info into Lornetz force equation but it doesn't seem to answer the question.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so for the ions to pass through unaffected, the force due to the elctric field & the motion through the magnetic must be equal & opposite (ie exactly cancel)

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    So would it be more accurate to use

qE=qvxB

and then substitute in the v equation?

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

sounds like a reasonable idea to me, give it a try

couple of pointers though, just be careful with your signs as the forces neecd to cancel out

now you could expand a vector triple product or make use of the orthoganalilty of the vectors in teh question & look at the magnitudes...

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I were you, I would use the general form of the Lorentz force law [itex]\textbf{F}=q(\textbf{E}+\textbf{v}\times\textbf{B})[/itex], and plug in the velocity you are given...after using some vector triple product identities, you should find that the force on each ion [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook