Ion Conductors: Comparing Resistance to Copper at Room Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding ion conductors that are comparable in resistance to copper at room temperature, and whether it is possible to create continuity in current between a copper wire and an ion conductor. It also mentions the use of two wires in a magnetic field and the potential for using semiconductors as an alternative to ionic conductors. The expert suggests that while there are liquid and solid ionic conductors, their conductivity is significantly lower than that of metals. Additionally, at the interface between an electron and ionic conductor, there must be a charge exchange which could lead to electrolysis. The expert also explains that the force on a wire in a magnetic field depends on the direction of the current, not the direction
girts
I am interested can you please point out, are there any ion conductors (electrolytes i assume they are called) that are comparable in their resistance to copper at room temperature? I am thinking about both liquid or solid conductors here.

Also I was wondering is it possible to make continuity in current between a copper wire and an ion conductor, what happens at the connection? Does electrons from copper simply enter the electrolyte and from there on an ionic current begins or what exactly?
I ask this because I want to experiment with two wires that are moving in the same direction in homogeneous axial magnetic field, only one of them carries current in one direction but the other should be the return wire, but if they are both made out of metals that conduct electric current via electrons then the B field pushes the electrons in the same direction in both wires although I need one wire to have current in one direction and the other in the other one.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
girts said:
I am interested can you please point out, are there any ion conductors (electrolytes i assume they are called) that are comparable in their resistance to copper at room temperature? I am thinking about both liquid or solid conductors here.

Also I was wondering is it possible to make continuity in current between a copper wire and an ion conductor, what happens at the connection? Does electrons from copper simply enter the electrolyte and from there on an ionic current begins or what exactly?
I ask this because I want to experiment with two wires that are moving in the same direction in homogeneous axial magnetic field, only one of them carries current in one direction but the other should be the return wire, but if they are both made out of metals that conduct electric current via electrons then the B field pushes the electrons in the same direction in both wires although I need one wire to have current in one direction and the other in the other one.Thanks.
Can you compare and contrast the conductivity of metals wi6th strong ionic solutions? Google is your friend...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductivity_(electrolytic)#Strong_electrolytes

girts said:
I am interested can you please point out, are there any ion conductors (electrolytes i assume they are called) that are comparable in their resistance to copper at room temperature?
Not even close. Yes, there are liquid and solid ionic conductors but their electrical conductivity is much, much less than that of any metal.
Actually, you can have ions in gas, still the conductivity is not that great.
girts said:
Also I was wondering is it possible to make continuity in current between a copper wire and an ion conductor, what happens at the connection?
At the interface between electron and ionic conductor you have to have a charge exchange, i.e. either ionize neutral molecule or neutralize an ion. In either case, you essentially end up with electrolysis.
I am not quite sure what you want to accomplish with the two wires moving in magnetic field. The force on the wire depends on the direction of the current, not the direction of the current carriers. The same goes for the induced EMF.
On the other hand, if you really want to have mobile carriers of different signs, try semiconductors: one n-type and the other p-type. Semiconductors will not be as good conductors as copper but way better than ionic conductors.

Likes berkeman

1. What are ion conductors?

Ion conductors are materials that have the ability to conduct electricity through the movement of charged particles called ions. These ions can move freely within the material, allowing for the flow of electric current.

2. How do ion conductors compare to copper in terms of resistance at room temperature?

At room temperature, ion conductors typically have a higher resistance compared to copper. This means that it is more difficult for electric current to flow through ion conductors compared to copper.

3. What factors affect the resistance of ion conductors at room temperature?

The resistance of ion conductors at room temperature can be affected by factors such as the type of ions present, the concentration of ions, and the structure of the material.

4. Can ion conductors be used as a replacement for copper in electrical applications?

In some cases, ion conductors can be used as a replacement for copper in electrical applications. However, they may not be suitable for all applications due to their higher resistance and other factors such as cost and availability.

5. Can the resistance of ion conductors be lowered at room temperature?

Yes, the resistance of ion conductors can be lowered at room temperature through various methods such as increasing the concentration of ions, optimizing the material's structure, and using different types of ions. However, it may not be possible to completely eliminate the resistance of ion conductors at room temperature.