Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ion engine efficency.

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    I was arguing with my NASA friend the other day about what would make a more efficent propellent for an ion engine. Is it a lighter ion or a heavier ion. THis was what I derived.

Assume a charge q of mass m is accelerated through a potential V. The mass of the ship is M. Working through the problem with the tools an intro physics student could comprehend, I arrived at an equation that gives you the change in velocity for the ship after consuming ONE available ion.

v = Sqrt[2qVm/(M^2)]

I'm pretty confident in this. The units work out and all variables are in the correct place intuitively.

i'm confused on one point. I already have velocity as a function of mass of one particle. Do I need to divide by mass of one particle to get to velocity change per unit mass?

I think i'm confusing particle mass with bulk mass somehow.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're equation is correct. Not sure why the velocity change per unit mass would be useful here. If we assume a certain number of ions are generated per unit time, then multiply your equation by the rate at which ions are generated to get the acceleration.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    Well, you want to carry as little propellent to keep the weight down. A higher change in velocity per unit mass would allow you to carry less propellent to achieve the same change in velocity.

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thinking about this a little more, and I am thinking the quantity of interest is the velocity change due to burning a fixed mass of fuel, since the "energy budget" would include a certain amount of fuel by mass.

Multiplying your v expression times the number of particles in a total fuel mass mf would give Δv for that mass of fuel. This number of particles is simply mf/m, so we have

Δv = Sqrt[2qVmf2 / (m2M2)] = Sqrt[2qV] mf/(mM) ​

I guess this is pretty much what you were getting at ... essentially divide by the mass m to get the velocity change per unit mass of fuel.

EDIT:
    I posted this before reading your post #3. (Yes, I had this edit window open and in progress for nearly an hour.) I agree with what you said.

So it appears that a smaller particle mass results in a greater thrust.

6. Jun 7, 2009 #5
    Well, if that's the case, why are they using xenon? It's heavy. Is xenon particularly easy to ionize multiple times? I mean, all that you need this particle to do is get ionized and fly out the back. Other than ease of storage, all other properties are irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook