Distance Between Ions and Water Molecules in Hydrated Solutions

In summary, the conversation is discussing the average distance between an ion and a water molecule when it is hydrated, specifically for sodium and potassium. The context of the conversation is looking for specific values for these distances and discussing different sources and papers that provide this information. The picture provided is a simplified representation and the actual distances can vary depending on temperature and other factors. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding examples where the distance between oxygen and an ion is closer, around 1.5 Angstroms.
somasimple
Gold Member
Hi All,

What are the average distance of a ion and a water molecule when it is hydrated.

1/ for sodium?
2/ potassium?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What's the context? Are you asked to estimate it? Or you just need the value?

I just need average values for sodium and potassium.
Contexts:
1/ with 1 water molecule until 4 water molecules (see picture for a sodium example).

Attachments

• Na_4water.jpg
    Na_4water.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 396
Google "ionic radii in water". Just beware, as some of those listed can already take hydration into account.

Is this one http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TFN-4KPX2FG-5&_user=2552272&_coverDate=10%2F05%2F2006&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1463541728&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=2552272&md5=83e5857fb22d5ca6a0c410434cee74df&searchtype=a"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have access, so can't tell you much. But my guess is that it should at least list sources of the radii used.

Click on figures and tables. There are many values.
BTW, I may buy it.

Fig. 5. (drawn to scale) The oxygen (O) and two hydrogen (H) atoms of water are shown as circles with covalent radii, d(O) and d(H). The circles on the right represent ions with aqueous ionic radii, d(i), aq = kd(A). The length of the hydration bond, d(–O) is the distance between the center of O(water) and P(i/w) (shown as dotted lines in Figs. I–V): (I) Li+, cdots, three dots, centered, Cs+: k = 0.81 = phi/2, d(–O) = 0.64 (±) 0.03 Å. d(i), aq (in Å): 1.42 (Li+) < 1.65 (Ag+ circle with dashes) < 1.74 (Na+) < 2.16 (K+) < 2.26 (Rb+) < 2.49 (Cs+). (II) F−, cdots, three dots, centered, I−: k = 1.57 = 2/phi1/2, d(–O) = 1.60 (±) 0.04 Å. d(i), aq (in Å): 1.11 (F−) < 1.48 (Cl−) < 1.74 (Br−) < 2.08 (I−). The ‘hydrogen bond’ length d(–H) = d(–O) − d(OH) = 0.63 Å. (III): Ni+2, cdots, three dots, centered, Ba+2: k = 0.80 not, vert, similar phi/2 = 0.81, d(–O) = 1.06 (±) 0.08 Å. d(i), aq (in Å) (only some are shown to avoid overcrowding): 0.98 (Ni+2) < 1.19 (Hg+2) < 1.32 (Mg+2) < 2.06 (Ba+2). (IV): Al+3, cdots, three dots, centered, Eu+3: k = 0.47 = (2/phi3), d(–O) = 1.40 (±) 0.06 Å. d(i), aq (in Å) (only some are shown): 0.55 (Al+3) < 0.63 (Rh+3) < 0.81 (Tl+3) < 0.91 (Yb+3, dashed line) < 1.08 (Eu+3, dash and dot line). (V) Lu+3, cdots, three dots, centered, La+3: k = 0.62 = phi/2, d(–O) = 1.37 (±) 0.05 Å. d(i), aq in increasing order (in Å) (only some are shown): 0.97 (Lu+3) < 1.01 (Y+3, dashed line) < 1.13 (Sm+3) < 1.17 (La+3).

I can buy it as well, but I won't buy it just to spend money :tongue2:

I think the responses are in my previous message.

No, that's a silly (to the extent of bordering on crankish) paper.

And your question makes no sense. These ions do not bind consistently to any particular number of water molecules in liquid water, and the coordination structure is dependent on the coordination number. The K+-H2O distance can be anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 Å, and that's dependent on temperature, etc. See, e.g. http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v132/i12/p124503_s1" . (Which, unlike the other, isn't indulging in numerology.)

Last edited by a moderator:
and this one
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~serdar/papers/jpc08-pol.pdf

or this one?
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp075913v
or these books? ;
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cr00019a014
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cr00090a003

Last edited:
What's your point? That you know how to use google scholar/chemfinder/isi? I do too.

So if you've been reading these papers, why are you under the impression that hydration of an ion looks like the picture you posted?

1/ I was just asking for the relevance/quality of the papers.
2/ The picture is very simplified. It is flat but it is very convenient to draw that way. It seems that the distances from oxygen to a ion is a bit farer than my trial.

It is said that distance from Oxygen atom and potassium atom is around 2.5, 2.65 Angstroms.
Is it possible to find some example where this distance is far less and around 1.5 Angstrom?

What is the significance of the distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions?

The distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions is important because it affects the interactions between them, which in turn can impact the properties and behavior of the solution. For example, a shorter distance between ions and water molecules can result in stronger ion-water interactions, leading to a more stable solution.

How is the distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions determined?

The distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions is typically measured using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and molecular dynamics simulations. These methods allow researchers to visualize and analyze the arrangement of water molecules and ions in the solution.

What factors can influence the distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions?

The distance between ions and water molecules can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the size and charge of the ions, the temperature and pressure of the solution, and the presence of other solutes. Additionally, the type of solvent and the dielectric constant can also play a role in determining the distance between ions and water molecules.

How does the distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions relate to solubility?

The distance between ions and water molecules can affect the solubility of a solute in a solution. A shorter distance between ions and water molecules can result in stronger ion-water interactions, making it easier for the ions to dissolve in the solution. On the other hand, a longer distance between ions and water molecules can lead to weaker interactions and lower solubility.

What is the optimal distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions?

There is no one optimal distance between ions and water molecules in hydrated solutions, as it can vary depending on the specific ions and solvent involved. However, in general, a distance of around 2-3 angstroms is considered ideal for strong ion-water interactions and stable solutions.