Ion Life Channel: Sexist Travel Show "Get Out

In summary, the conversation is about a travel show called "Get Out" where three girls travel around the world in bikini tops to tropical areas. The speaker enjoys the show but finds it sexist as the girls rely on their looks and make nonsensical comments. The speaker also mentions some quotes from the show, including one that turned them on and another that was funny. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing a desire to be a "Waterstronaut" like the girls on the show.
tribdog
Do any of you get this channel? Have you seen the show "Get Out"? It's a travel show where these three girls travel around the world and tell you about it. Oh, and they only wear bikini tops and they only go to tropical areas. I can't get enough of this show. It is so sexist, because these girls have absolutely nothing going for them except that they are good looking. They are the kind of girls who think they are smart and funny, because they've been told that they were by every guy they've ever met. I've got to make a list of some of their quotes.

"We were like astronauts, but in the water."

"I got to pet a snapper."-this one turned me on a little.

"So, like, she went first and then she went second so like that made me third."-this is funny because it is how one of the girls describes everything they do.

"I said, Katie, there's no piranha's in here. This is fresh water."

These are just things I heard them say while I was typing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to be a Waterstronaut. :(

"I was trying to get her off, but I just couldn't get her off"~talking about a rope bridge they tried to make each other fall off of.

What is the Ion Life Channel and "Get Out" travel show?

The Ion Life Channel is a television network that focuses on lifestyle and wellness programming. "Get Out" is a travel show that airs on the Ion Life Channel and features destinations across the United States.

What makes "Get Out" a sexist travel show?

Some viewers have criticized "Get Out" for its portrayal of women as simply objects of beauty and for reinforcing traditional gender roles. Additionally, the show tends to focus on activities and locations that are deemed more traditionally masculine.

Are there any efforts being made to address the sexism in "Get Out"?

While the show has not made any official statements or changes in response to the criticism, the Ion Life Channel has featured other programming that promotes more diverse and inclusive representations of women.

What are some examples of sexist content in "Get Out"?

Some examples of sexist content in "Get Out" include objectifying shots of women's bodies, framing men as the main decision-makers and adventurers, and portraying women as passive and dependent on men for their enjoyment of travel.

Is there any value in watching "Get Out" despite its sexist elements?

This is a subjective question and ultimately depends on personal beliefs and values. Some may argue that the show's focus on adventure and travel can be enjoyable despite its problematic elements, while others may choose to avoid supporting a show that perpetuates sexist ideas.