Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionic Charge and the Periodic Table

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1
    Hi we're beggining to label the orbitals with s p d structures...grade 11 chemistry

The question is "Explain why the 2+ ion is the one that tends typically to form"
    Ive answered the question above this one which says "Ca element 20 forms a 2+ ion. Write the electron configuration of neutral Ca and the ion Ca 2+"

So I wrote Ca: 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p6,4s2
    Ca 2+: 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p6

Now to answer the question above "Explain why the 2+ ion is the one that tends typically to form" .... Well I guess because Calcium wants to become like a nobel gas, it wants to be isoelectronic to helium... Is this right? Anything else to say?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you meant Argon instead of Helium, you would be correct. Also, just for your info, it is common practice to use spaces (rather than commas) as separators between subshells when writing out the configuration. So you might want to write Ca: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2

However, I do have a problem with the question as stated :
    "Explain why the 2+ ion is the one that tends typically to form"
    This is only true of the elements in the second group (like Mg, Ca, Ba) and some of the transition metals (d-block) but not in general. I hope this statement was intended only for Ca, and not as a general rule.

4. Feb 12, 2005 #3
    thats right argon not helium lol sorry...

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?