Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionic conductivity

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    Hello!

Could someone please drop a link, a book name or an understandable explanation on what ionic conductivity in solids is? I am a 3rd year Applied Physics student and understand the basic concept, but a deeper description would be interesting for me: for example, how is resistance calculated, what would be characteristic times of ions hopping and so on. I have looked through a textbook by Kittel (Intro. to Solid State Ph., 8th edition), but did not find a satisfactory discussion.

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ionic resistivity is calculated similarly to electronic resistivity; it's inversely related to the charge, the carrier density, and the mobility. Mobility, mean free path, and hopping times are all analyzed by kinetic theory, and a good general textbook is Baluffi et al., Kinetics of Materials. Since ionic conductivity is important in ceramics, it's often addressed in these textbooks (e.g., Chiang et al., Physical Ceramics).

4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    A perfect answer, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?