Understanding Ionic Charges: A Guide for Na, Cl, and Other Particles

• Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the ionic charge of particles, specifically for non-metallic and metallic elements. Non-metallic elements have a charge that goes down by one for each column as you move left on the periodic table. Metallic elements require memorization of the different charges they can have, depending on their atomic number and electronic distribution. The speaker suggests learning how to distribute electrons on atom's shells to make determining the ion charge easier.
kyle_soule
I'm having a terribly difficult time figuring this out and I'm (ashamedly) sure it is quiet simple. How do I know or figure out the ionic charge of a particle. Such as Na or Cl.

How do I know if they are a minus 1 or positve 2 or what they are?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ah, well, this isn't too difficult.

For non-metallic elements, it's very easy. Noble Gases (the ones farthest to the right), have a charge of 0. Now, as you go to the left, the charge goes down (-1) for every column. Flourine has a charge of -1, Oxygen -2, and so on. When you get to -4, then it's +4/-4. and it starts decreasing as you keep going left. Lithium has a charge of +1 then.

For metallic elements, it gets difficult. There's really only one way to do it, memorize 'em. ;)

Last edited:
for metallic elements , you have to know how to distribute electrons on atom's shells.
for exmple Cobalt(27Co] is known as a Metal with two usual ions : +1 , +2 , +3
that's becuase It's electronic distribution gois like this :
27Co = 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d7
as you know , every etom always try to get to the low energy situation , so , it would lose the electrons in the shell with highest energy , which are from the 4th orbit , in 4s2 , and since 3d is almost equal to 4s , so the atom might lose some electrons from it.
Therefore , B family always make +2 ions , beside other ions depending on the atomic number of the element.

also , when you learn how to distribute electrons on atom's shells , this ion things will become very easy for you , so I suggest you learn them .
Excuse my bad enlgish :wink: , I tried my best

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an ionic number?

An ionic number is a numerical value that represents the overall charge of an ion. It is determined by the number of protons and electrons in an atom, and can be either positive or negative.

How is the ionic number of an ion determined?

The ionic number of an ion is determined by the number of electrons it has gained or lost. If an ion has lost electrons, it will have a positive ionic number, and if it has gained electrons, it will have a negative ionic number.

What is the significance of the ionic number in chemistry?

The ionic number is significant in chemistry because it determines the chemical and physical properties of an ion. It affects how an ion interacts with other ions and molecules, as well as its solubility and reactivity.

Can atoms have the same ionic number?

No, atoms cannot have the same ionic number. Each element has a specific number of protons and electrons, and any change in this number will result in a different ionic number. However, isotopes of the same element may have different ionic numbers due to a difference in the number of neutrons.

How does the ionic number affect the formation of ionic bonds?

The ionic number plays a crucial role in the formation of ionic bonds. Oppositely charged ions with different ionic numbers are attracted to each other, forming a strong bond. The magnitude of the ionic numbers also determines the strength of the bond.