Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ionization and light

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1
    [SOLVED] Ionization and light

I've been working on this problem and I'm not coming up with a reasonable answer.

If the Bohr model is used, what frequency of light
    would be required for ionization of hydrogen?

I know that [tex]\Delta E = h \nu[/tex], where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and [itex]\nu[/itex] is frequency and that [tex]\nu = \frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex] and I know the first ionization energy of hydrogen is 1312 kJ/mol, but I can't seem to arrive at the answer.

I tried using both 1312kJ and 1.312x10^6J for E but the answer comes out too large. The solution is 3.29 × 10^15 Hz. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2006 #2
    First step: Questions like this should be on the homework forum, so you probably might want to post there next time.

Next step: Divide the ionization energy (in J) per mol by 6.023x10^23 to get the ionization energy per electron. You should get a number like 2.1783x10^-18 J which should look somewhat familiar to you. This is your E.

Next Next step:

2.7183X10^-18 J = (6.63x10^-34 J*s)f

f = 3.29x10^15 Hz

4. Jul 2, 2006 #3
    Yep, this is actually my first homework question and I forgot about that forum, actually. Thanks for your response!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook