1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionization and light

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1
    [SOLVED] Ionization and light

I've been working on this problem and I'm not coming up with a reasonable answer.

If the Bohr model is used, what frequency of light
    would be required for ionization of hydrogen?

I know that [tex]\Delta E = h \nu[/tex], where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and [itex]\nu[/itex] is frequency and that [tex]\nu = \frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex] and I know the first ionization energy of hydrogen is 1312 kJ/mol, but I can't seem to arrive at the answer.

I tried using both 1312kJ and 1.312x10^6J for E but the answer comes out too large. The solution is 3.29 × 10^15 Hz. Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2006 #2
    First step: Questions like this should be on the homework forum, so you probably might want to post there next time.

Next step: Divide the ionization energy (in J) per mol by 6.023x10^23 to get the ionization energy per electron. You should get a number like 2.1783x10^-18 J which should look somewhat familiar to you. This is your E.

Next Next step:

2.7183X10^-18 J = (6.63x10^-34 J*s)f

f = 3.29x10^15 Hz
  4. Jul 2, 2006 #3
    Yep, this is actually my first homework question and I forgot about that forum, actually. Thanks for your response!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?