Ionization and Ozone Emission

So I'm preparing to run an experiment involving Ionization. Unfortunately during my research, I've found out that when air is ionized (much like a lightning strike) it produces ozone. I learned that ozone molecules are unstable and usually dissipate back into O2 molecules in about 20 minutes, depending on temperature. Is there anything else I should know? I'm trying to do more research but detailed information is proving a challenge to find.

[Edit] Oh, and I also know about the respiratory problems it can cause, and that if it is created in an environment of a high temperature, it can explode because it is so unstable. But additional info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Ozone can really aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma.

Ozone also has a weird smell, you'll know when you make it.

Lok
Ozone also has a weird smell, you'll know when you make it.
The smell is the one you feel near a working photocopier (xerox) as it basically produces ozone.
It can explode although not a very powerful explosion, because it can expand it's volume only about 3 times in laboratory condistions (not much chance of that). It is much more flamable than oxygen and more reacting. So it might oxidize some metals that are considered stainless.

Borek
Mentor
dissipate back into O2 molecules in about 20 minutes
This is half life most likely.