What is the Relationship Between Magnetization and Ionization in Neutral Atoms?

In summary, the required field strength to ionize a neutral atom is on the order of hundreds of thousands of Teslas, which is much higher than the strongest superconducting magnets. This is due to the energy required for ionization, which is comparable to the spin and orbital magnetic moments of the electron. In certain exotic circumstances, such as neutron stars or magnetars, this energy limit could possibly be reached. Ionization occurs when the magnetic gradient overpowers the electric charges holding the electron and proton together.
mordechai9
I'm interested in the question of what strength magnetic field you need to fully or partially ionize a neutral atom. I'm fairly sure this is possible but I'm not very familiar with quantum physics, atomic physics, solid state physics, and so on. I'm familiar with the "classical analog" calculations of things like the diamagnetic effect, but I have no idea how to proceed using a more accurate QM style analysis. Thanks in advance--

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't be done for any realistic field.
The spin magnetic moment of an electron (Bohr magneton) μB is ~ 5.8E-5 eV/T, the orbital magnetic moment is roughly on the same order (l*μB).

The ionization energy for hydrogen (for instance) is -13.6 eV. So the required field strength to impart the energy required for ionization,
would be on the order of hundreds of thousands of Teslas. Whereas the strongest superconducting magnets in the world are on the order of tens of Teslas.

They can't even cause electronic transitions. Which is why it's quite safe to stick your head in an MRI machine.

OK, gotcha. To summarize, I think you are saying that once the spin magnetic moment or orbital magnetic moment of the electron reaches the ionization energy, that is when (in principle) the electron would escape. Could you possibly comment on how the spin energy or orbital energy would cause an ionization/kickout event? In other words, how does the energy transfer from spin/orbital to ballistic?

Incidentally, I've been looking into literature on the subject, and I think on neutron stars the fields can reach 10^12 Gauss or 10^8 Tesla, so this energy limit could possibly be reached in exotic circumstances. But aside from that, I think the ordinary elastic/inelastic collisions in a plasma, in conjunction with high magnetic field energized states, could lead to this kind ionization. Although to be fair that's not just the magnetic field anymore.

Magnetars might get as high as 10^14 gauss. Then real weird things can happen. Read this ref for an authoritative account: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0002442

As to ionization, think of the electron and the proton as two small magnets.
Remember that they can be either parallel or anti-parallel.
Then imagine the hydrogen atom approaching a third great big magnet, the magnetar.
If the magnetic gradient pulls the electron away from the proton
more strongly than the electric charges hold them together, ionization can occur.
Oversimplified, but not too far wrong, I think.
Best
Jim Graber

What is ionization by magnetization?

Ionization by magnetization is a process where a magnetic field is used to create charged particles, or ions, from neutral atoms or molecules. This can occur naturally in space, or it can be artificially induced in a laboratory setting.

How does ionization by magnetization work?

In this process, a magnetic field is used to ionize atoms or molecules by causing their electrons to become unbound. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as the Zeeman effect or the Penning effect, depending on the strength and orientation of the magnetic field.

What are the applications of ionization by magnetization?

Ionization by magnetization has several practical applications, including in plasma physics research, ion thrusters for spacecraft propulsion, and mass spectrometry for analyzing chemical compounds.

What are the benefits of using ionization by magnetization compared to other ionization methods?

One advantage of using ionization by magnetization is that it can be controlled and manipulated by varying the strength and orientation of the magnetic field. It also allows for the selective ionization of certain elements or molecules, making it useful for specific analytical purposes.

Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to ionization by magnetization?

One limitation of ionization by magnetization is that it typically requires high magnetic fields, which can be difficult and expensive to produce. Additionally, the process may not work for all types of atoms or molecules, and the resulting ions may have a short lifespan due to recombination with electrons.