Why Does GEANT4 Calculate a Lower Ionization Cross-Section Than Expected?

In summary, ionization cross-section is a measure of the probability of an atom or molecule losing an electron during a collision with another particle. It is calculated using theoretical models or experimental data and is influenced by factors such as particle energy and charge, target structure, and collision orientation. In atmospheric science, ionization cross-section is important for understanding the effects of incoming particles on the atmosphere, while in medical physics, it helps in studying the interactions between radiation and living tissue and developing cancer treatments.
Deverno
Hi. I need to calculate the ionization cross section in the accelerator storage ring. In all science works i read, that this parameter is over 2 Mbarn. I use the GEANT4's formula for cross section and got the cross section is ~milibarn. Please help me to calculate this cross-section. you can writh me on my ICQ# to ICQ# 311-844-289

Physics news on Phys.org
ionization cross section

Hi there,

The ionization cross section is an important parameter in accelerator storage rings as it describes the likelihood of an ionizing collision between a particle and an atom. It is typically measured in units of barns (1 barn = 10^-28 m^2) and can vary depending on the energy of the particle and the type of atom it is interacting with.

It is interesting to note that you have found a discrepancy between the value you calculated using GEANT4's formula and the values mentioned in scientific literature. This could be due to a number of factors, such as the specific conditions in your experiment or the accuracy of the formula you used.

To accurately calculate the ionization cross section, it is important to consider the specific parameters of your experiment, such as the energy of the particles and the type of atoms they are interacting with. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or refer to more specialized literature for more accurate values.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! I am unable to contact you through your ICQ# as I do not have an account, but please feel free to reach out to me through this platform if you have any further questions or concerns.

What is ionization cross-section?

Ionization cross-section is a measure of the probability that a particle (usually an electron) will be removed from an atom or molecule during a collision with another particle. It is a crucial parameter in understanding various physical and chemical processes.

How is ionization cross-section calculated?

Ionization cross-section is typically calculated using theoretical models or experimental data. Theoretical models use quantum mechanical calculations to predict the cross-section, while experimental methods involve measuring the number of particles ionized in a given collision.

What factors influence ionization cross-section?

The ionization cross-section is affected by several factors, including the energy and charge of the colliding particles, the atomic or molecular structure of the target, and the orientation and distance between the colliding particles.

Why is ionization cross-section important in atmospheric science?

Ionization cross-section plays a significant role in atmospheric science as it determines the rate at which molecules in the atmosphere are ionized by incoming particles, such as cosmic rays and solar winds. This, in turn, affects the formation of clouds, precipitation, and the overall composition of the atmosphere.

How is ionization cross-section used in medical physics?

In medical physics, ionization cross-section is used to understand the interactions between radiation and living tissue. It helps in determining the effects of radiation on biological systems and in developing effective cancer treatments, such as radiation therapy.