What are the differences in ionization energy between potassium and calcium?

In summary, the first ionization energy of Ca is greater than that of K due to an increased effective nuclear charge, while the second ionization energy of Ca is less than that of K because it removes an electron from a more excited orbital. Additionally, the second ionization energy of K is much greater than its first ionization energy due to pulling an electron from a less excited orbital with less shielding. This difference in ionization energies can be attributed to the octet rule and the arrangement of valence electrons.
President Mercury
Question: The first and second ionization energies of K are 419 kJ/mol and 3052 kJ/mol, and those of Ca are 590 kJ/mol and 1145 kJ/mol, respectively. Compare their values and comment on the differeneces.

I'm thinking of two different ways of how to do this even though I think both are wrong. I was wondering if I had to take the energy of K and Ca and subtract them? OR do I just look at them and speak about how "different" they are from each other?

I don't know if I'm thinking about this question in a logical way or not? So feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the second ionization energy of K so large? Think octet rule.

A qualitative analysis should suffice, provided that you show enough knowledge about valence electrons and ionization energies.

President Mercury said:
Question: The first and second ionization energies of K are 419 kJ/mol and 3052 kJ/mol, and those of Ca are 590 kJ/mol and 1145 kJ/mol, respectively. Compare their values and comment on the differeneces.

I'm thinking of two different ways of how to do this even though I think both are wrong. I was wondering if I had to take the energy of K and Ca and subtract them? OR do I just look at them and speak about how "different" they are from each other?

I don't know if I'm thinking about this question in a logical way or not? So feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks.

looks like a lab question. The Calcium reacts faster than the Potassium because more energy is removed in a period of time...

Last edited:
Well, first of all, the first ionization enrgy of Ca is greater than that of K because Calcium's nucleus is more effective due to an increased effective nuclear charge. Next, the second ionization energy of Calcium is less than that of K because it is removing an electron from a more excited orbital than the orbital the second electron from K is being removed from. The second ionization energy of K is also about 6x greater than its first ionization energy because it is pulling an electron from a less excited orbital with less shielding and is closer to the nucleus, wheras the second electron being removed from calcium is from the same orbital as before.
I hope that I answered your question!

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its gaseous state.

2. Why do different elements have different ionization energies?

Each element has a unique number of protons in its nucleus, which determines its atomic structure and the strength of its attractive forces on electrons. This results in different ionization energies for each element.

3. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV). It is measured by bombarding atoms or molecules with high-energy particles and measuring the energy required to remove an electron.

4. What is the relationship between ionization energy and atomic size?

In general, ionization energy increases as you move from left to right across the periodic table, and decreases as you move down a group. This is because as atomic size increases, the outermost electrons are further from the nucleus and experience less attractive force, making them easier to remove.

5. How does ionization energy affect the chemical properties of elements?

The ionization energy of an element can affect its reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds. Elements with low ionization energy are more likely to form positive ions, while elements with high ionization energy are more likely to form negative ions. This can impact the types of compounds an element can form and its overall chemical behavior.